- Publications & Insights
Ashleigh Hale is Co-Head of our Corporate Department. She is also a member of the firm’s Management Board, Remuneration Committee and co-ordinates the firm’s Fintech service line.
Ashleigh has been a partner of the firm since 2003 and practices in the firm’s Mergers & Acquisitions practice group. Her areas of specialization include cross-border private M&A, broad-based black economic empowerment (B-BBEE), solvent restructurings, restructuring of state assets, joint ventures and corporate governance.
Ashleigh advises multinational companies on M&A transactions in South Africa and across a number of other African jurisdictions. She also advises on BEE transactions, acting for both BEE investors and companies disposing of equity or assets to such investors. In relation to the privatisation and restructuring of state assets, she has advised South African and African clients on restructuring, acquisitions, asset disposal and privatisation.
Ashleigh has specific experience in the following sectors: financial services, technology, media and telecoms (TMT), hotels and leisure, mining and the public sector.
She has BA and LLB degrees from the University of Cape Town.
- Advising CNH Industrial in its acquisition of certain capital equipment goods businesses from Invicta Holdings Ltd.
- Advising Epiroc South Africa in relation to its acquisition of the New Concept Mining group, with operations in South Africa, Zambia, Peru, Chile and Canada.
- Advising Veolia Africa S.A. in relation to its acquisition of Dolphin Coast Landfill Management Pty Limited.
- Advising Vermeer International B.V. in relation to the acquisition and subsequent sale of shares in Vermeer Equipment Suppliers Proprietary Limited (its South African distributor).
- Advising Capitalworks, a leading Africa focused and based private equity firm, in relation to its acquisition of Aon’s shareholding in 10 employee benefit, insurance and reinsurance brokerage operations in Angola, Kenya, Lesotho, Malawi, Mozambique, Namibia, Swaziland, Tanzania, Uganda and Zambia.
- Advising Imithi Investments Pty Limited and its shareholders in the unwinding and restructuring of their investment in Aspen Pharmacare Holdings Limited.
- Advising JCDecaux in relation to its partnership with Royal Bafokeng Holdings and their acquisition of Continental Outdoor Media, a South African based media group with operations in 16 countries in Africa.
- Advising Marriott International in the acquisition of the Protea Hotel group with hotels across Africa.
- Advising Standard Chartered Bank in its acquisition of the custody and trustee business of Absa Bank Limited.
- Advising Marsh in its acquisition of the insurance brokerage and risk business of Alexander Forbes in South Africa and seven other African jurisdictions.
- Advising multinationals such as Ericsson, Marsh, GL Events, Alcatel-Lucent, Coface, WPP, Veolia Africa and Würth in relation to their B-BBEE ownership structures.
- IFLR1000 Financial and Corporate Guide rated Ashleigh as a Highly Regarded Lawyer for M&A for four consecutive years (2018 to 2021).
‘Ashleigh Hale is an excellent negotiator and is on top of the transaction.’– Legal 500, 2020
‘Walks the extra mile regardless the task and time required. Professional and knowledgeable.’ – IFLR 1000, 2019
Publications & Insights
- Key FinTech Trends in Africa 2022
- Stricter reporting and enforcement on local empowerment in Africa
- South Africa: B-BBEE – New practice note on discretionary collective enterprises
- COVID-19: Impact of the pandemic on B-BBEE in South Africa
- Obligation to report a B-BBEE transaction to the B-BBEE Commission
- Introducing Blockchain
- Final Marketing, advertising and communications (MAC) sector code published
- The Mergers & Acquisitions Review 2012
- The Mergers & Acquisitions Review – Fifth Edition – South Africa
- Partly paid-up shares: Companies Act, 1973 versus the new Companies Act
- Broad-based black economic empowerment (BEE)