- Publications & Insights
Bavesh Pillay is a partner in our Johannesburg office Project Finance practice, specialising in Construction and commercial law.
He has particular expertise in energy infrastructure and commercial property development projects.
Primarily, his focus is on specialist “front-end” work involving the vetting or drafting of construction contracts, equipment supply agreements and professional services agreements (either as bespoke agreements or using the standard forms of contract, including the FIDIC, NEC and JBCC. Bavesh also provides legal advice on contractual, commercial and regulatory issues as well as dispute resolution.
He has an LLB (cum laude) from the University of KwaZulu-Natal and an LLM from Harvard Law School in Boston.
* includes experience prior to joining Bowmans
- *Karpowership Project: Advising the Lenders in relation to the leasing of powerships, FSRU, procurement of operation and related marine works and ultimately ensuring bankability of the transaction.
- *Nokeng Fluorspar Mine: Advising providing general commercial advice to the sponsors on a major flourspar mine project, including in relation to lender requirements and navigating EPC Contractor disputes.
- *Eris Cape Town Station Accommodation Project: Providing strategic project advice in relation to interface points within construction and formulation of risk strategies to minimise project delays and preparation of intelligent procurement strategies (including in relation to FF&E and OS&E procurement).
- *Actis Rack Centre Nigeria Data Centre Project: Formulating of procurement strategy for a major data centre development, considering specialist conditions and providing for anticipated lender requirements under separate supply contracts.
- *Kopanong Office Precinct Project: Advising a major consortium bidder in relation to the Project bid requirements and development of suitable commercial terms, ensuring effective construction and operational subcontracts with appropriately flowed down requirements for the PPP Agreements and legislative requirements.
- *Stanlib Arena Mall Project in Kampala: Providing strategic advice to the Lenders in dealing with commercial deadlocks while paying due consideration to jurisdictional challenges amid the Covid-19 pandemic and advising on legal issues potentially affecting continued project viability.
- *OTGC Liquid Storage Facility: Advising Lenders on bankability issues, DD and identifying solutions to and mitigation of material projects risks.
- *WBHO Liberia Roads Project: advising in relation to the financing and construction of two major road developments in Liberia.
- *Platinum Plaza Hotel Development Project on an EPC Contract (based on FIDIC Silver) and the preparation of an early works contract to preserve project timelines, ensuring Ghanaian regulatory requirements are met and addressing Lender concerns to facilitate procurement of Lender finance.
- *Old Mutual on its Stella Street Development. This was a significant and modern commercial property development in Sandton and involved formulating and implementing the optimal structuring of major construction works contracts ensuring the ultimate success of the project.
- *Development Bank of Southern Africa on its Gibela Rail Project in drafting of the construction contracts and professional services templates for rail infrastructure.
- *Trafigura/Puma Energy on the construction of a major petroleum storage and distribution terminal in Mozambique using the FIDIC suite with amendments.
- *Eskom SOC Limited in expert legal advice on the NEC contracts and effective strategies for dispute resolution in relation to the Ingula Project, one of the largest energy projects in KwaZulu-Natal.
- *Part of the legal advisory team, advising Eskom on both front end contracts and disputes in respect of the Medupi and Kusile projects respectively.
- *Gigawatt in negotiating the EPC Contract for the 100MW gas fired project in Mozambique.