Bertrand Cheung is Counsel in our Litigation Practice of our Mauritius office with more than 15 years post qualification experience.
As a litigator, Bertrand has appeared in all jurisdictions of the Mauritian Courts ranging from District Courts to the Judicial Committee of the Privy Council of England and Wales. He has also appeared in the various tribunals such as the Environmental Land Use Appeal Tribunal (ELUAT) and Employment Rights Tribunal (ERT).
His main areas of practice are Corporate/Commercial Law, Intellectual Property, Employment law, Property law and Family law. Furthermore, he undertakes cases in civil law in general and is well versed in the procedural aspects of civil and commercial cases.
Bertrand holds an LLB (Hons) from the University of Leicester and a BVC from Nottingham Law School.
- Has undertaken a variety of cases before the Judge in Chambers including Injunctions, seizure order and Mareva injunctions as well as ancillary orders connected to the main case;
- Drafting of agreements, contracts, notices as well as affidavits on behalf of clients;
- Advising clients with regard to the procedural aspect of the case as well as the merits of the case;
- Usually retained to provide focused legal advice/opinions on diverse areas of law; and
- Has acted as Arbitrator and also been appointed as chairperson for disciplinary committees for certain Parastatal bodies.
- Member of the Mauritius Bar Association.
- Member of the Honourable Society of Lincoln’s Inn, UK