Bongumusa Sibiya is a Senior Associate in the Dispute Resolution Department specialising in commercial litigation.
Bongumusa has experience in Constitutional Law and Administrative Law Litigation. He has conducted litigation in matters involving:
- contractual disputes;
- public procurement;
- housing and evictions;
- exercise of public power by government institutions and officials;
- and private sector accountability in the mining sector.
Bongumusa worked at the Constitutional Court as a Law Research Clerk for Justice B Nkabinde.
- Handled objections and complaints from various Political Parties and Independent Candidates on behalf of the Independent Electoral Commission (the IEC) during the 2016 Municipal Elections.
- Conducted litigation on behalf of the IEC in matters before the Electoral Court and other Courts pertaining to violations of the Electoral Commission Act, the Electoral Act and Electoral Code, the Municipal Electoral Act and Regulations, the Municipal Structures Act and the Constitution of the Republic of South Africa.
- Provided advice and legal opinions to the IEC on various matters regarding the interpretation and application of the Electoral Commission Act, the Electoral Act and Electoral Code, the Municipal Electoral Act and Regulations, the Municipal Structures Act and the Constitution of the Republic of South Africa.
- Acted for the SAB in the matter between Sutherland Transport (Pty) Ltd v The South African Breweries (Pty) Ltd (Arbitration).
- Acted for social grants beneficiaries in the matter between Allpay Consolidated Investment Holdings (Pty) Ltd and Others v Chief Executive Officer of the South African Social Security Agency and Others, 2014 (1) SA 604 (CC).
- Acted for the Society for the Abolition of the Death Penalty in South Africa in the matter between Minister of Home Affairs and Others v Tsebe and Others, Minister of Justice and Constitutional Development and Another v Tsebe and Others, 2012 (5) SA 467 (CC).
- Acted for the occupiers of a building in the matter between City of Johannesburg v Changing Tides 74 (Pty) Ltd and Others; 2012 (6) SA 294 (SCA).
- Acted for clients represented by the Legal Resources Centre in the Marikana Commission of Enquiry.