Carla is a Senior Forensic Investigator in the firm’s Compliance and Investigations practice. She joined Bowmans in 2017, having previously studied for her BCom Hons Forensic Accounting degree at the North-West University.
She completed the following Chartered Accountant modules in order to qualify for Honours degree studies:
- Business Management
- Financial Management 2 and 3
- Cost Accounting 2 and 3
Her professional memberships:
- Certified Fraud Examiner (ACFE); and
- Certified Forensic Practitioner – ICFP
Some of the investigations Carla has been involved in include:
- Conducted investigations at one of South Africa’s largest financial services institution that included the analysis of over 215,000 transactions with a value of approximately R25 billion to identify and quantify the irregular transactions.
- Conducted investigations at one of South Africa’s largest financial services institution that included the analysis of 15 bank accounts containing over 22,300 transactions spanning over 5 (five) years with a value of approximately R600 million to identify and quantify the irregular transactions.
- Quantification of penalties payable by a large rental company as a result of non-performance in terms of key performance indicators as stipulated in the contract with the customer.
- Mandated by the international headquarters of a major big four auditing firm to provide various compliance and investigation services.
- Conducted a criminal investigation relating to IT companies receiving large contracts as part of State Capture. The investigation included the examination of supplier onboarding, financial analyses of invoices and remittance advices, due diligence, profiling and quantifications.
- In collaboration with DPCI and NPA conducted high profile criminal investigation pertaining to procurement fraud and irregularities. The investigations entailed allegations against the former CEO of a large government parastatal awarding contracts to the value of R3.9 billion.
- In collaboration with DPCI , conducted a high-profile criminal investigation pertaining to procurement fraud and irregularities. The investigations entailed allegations of procurement irregularities at a large government municipality to the value of R324 million.
- Investigation into allegations of misappropriation of funds and/ or fraud by the CEO of a rental/ funding company.
- Investigation into allegations of bribery and corruption by a former employee of an international mining company.
- Investigation into allegations of bribery by employees of an international mining company.
- Conducted lifestyle audits on employees of a large South African parastatal.
- Conducting of a multi-disciplinary investigation pertaining to previously investigated tender processes of a state-owned entity.
Her forensic experience includes inter alia:
- Attending introductory meetings with clients
- Obtaining and collecting evidence
- Compiling indexes of documentation and evidence obtained
- Reviewing evidence obtained
- Performing complex data analytics using Excel
- Performing complex reconciliations using Excel
- Investigations into misappropriation of funds
- Execution and completion of fieldwork
- Quantification of fraud/theft
- Quantification of loss/damages
- Drafting of reports
- Compilation of annexures (detailed working paper for reporting purposes)
- Compilation of exhibit files for reporting purposes
- Compilation of notes of meetings
- Maintaining of client relationships
- Lead information seeking interviews
- Performing investigative searches in terms of financial, directors, company, compliance, risk, and social media information.
- Performing comprehensive financial analysis of bank accounts in regard to implicated parties.
- Conducting lifestyle audits based on bank statements and other background information obtained.
- Reviewing of emails and documents on EDT and DtSearch (eDiscovery platform).
- Supported the DPCI and NPA with additional investigations to identify potential wrong-doers by investigating the money flows.