Casper van Heerden is a partner in our Johannesburg office Banking and Finance Department.
He specialises in debt capital markets including corporate bond issues, domestic medium-term note programmes (DMTN), commercial paper programmes, inward listings, global medium-term note programmes, high-yield bond issues and securitisations. Casper advises on a variety of listed and unlisted debt capital market transactions. He also advises issuers, arrangers and dealers with the establishment of, and note issuances under, DMTN programmes.
He is consistently rated in the top tier of South African Capital Markets lawyers by both Chambers Global and IFLR1000 and is a member of the JSE Ltd’s Advisory Committee (Bond Market).
He has B.Proc, LLB and LLM degrees from the University of the Free State.
- Advised on, and assisted large corporates and banks with a variety of listed and unlisted debt capital market transactions. These include bond issues for, amongst others, the Standard Bank of South Africa Limited (ZAR 2 billion), Transnet Limited (ZAR 2 billion), Barloworld Limited (ZAR 1.5 billion), Telkom Limited (ZAR 2.22 billion) and more recently South Africa’s first convertible bond issue for Aquarius Platinum Limited, which was listed on the Main Board of the JSE Limited.
- Regularly advises issuers, arrangers and dealers with the establishment of, and note issuances under, DMTN programmes. He has assisted, amongst other, the Mobile Telephone Networks Holdings (Pty) Limited (ZAR 10 billion), the Mercedes Benz South Africa (Pty) Limited (ZAR 18 billion), the SAPPI Manufacturing (Pty) Limited (ZAR 3 billion), the Transnet Limited (ZAR 18 billion) and Eskom Limited (ZAR 65 billion) with the establishment of their respective DMTN programmes, as well as the City of Johannesburg Metropolitan Municipality, the City of Cape Town and Umgeni Water with their capital markets transactions.
- Acted for Calyon, through its South African branch, in establishing the first DMTN Programme in South Africa by a foreign bank. He advised African Development Bank and BNP Paribas with the inward listing of their respective programmes and has advised on various securitisation programmes, including OntheCards Investments Limited (including the restructuring thereof), Asset Backed Arbitraged Securities (Pty) Limited (ABACAS) (the latter being South Africa’s first securitisation conduit) and Freestone Finance Company (Pty) Limited securitisation programmes.
- Assisted FirstRand Bank Limited, Standard Bank of South Africa Limited and Nedbank Limited with their respective EMTN programmes to provide for the new bank capital adequacy regulations for the issuance of hybrid instruments.
- Assisted Savcio Holdings (Pty) Limited with the restructuring of its high-yield bond issue.
- Assisted Transnet Limited with the establishment of its EMTN programme.
- Advised various ratings agencies in relation to debt capital markets transactions and programmes.
- Santam Limited
- JP Morgan Chase Bank, N.A.
- Hospitality Property Fund
- Hospitality Property Fund’s DMTN Programme
- Sibanye Gold’s USD 1 Billion Rights Offering and USD 1 Billion Bond Offering to Finance Stillwater Mining Acquisition
- Chambers and Partners 2018 ranked Casper van Heerden in Band 1 for Capital Markets.
- IFLR1000’s 2018 Financial and Corporate Guide rated Casper as a Highly Regarded Lawyer for Debt Capital Markets.
- Recognised by Best Lawyers 2017 for Capital Markets Law.
- Chambers and Partners 2017 & 2016 ranked Casper in Band 1 for Capital Markets (debt).
- Legal 500 2017 lists Casper as a recommended lawyer for Banking & Finance.
- The IFLR1000 recognised Casper as a leading lawyer and described him as “possibly the best capital markets lawyer in South Africa.” He is consistently rated First Tier of South African Capital Markets lawyers by both IFLR 1000 and Chambers Global and is a member of the JSE Limited’s Advisory Committee (Bond Market).
“Casper van Heerden has broad debt capital markets expertise, encompassing MTN programmes, commercial paper programmes, high-yield issuances and securitisations. One interviewee observed: “He is exceptionally dedicated to the project in hand – very measured and focused. Given the nature of our transaction, his calm demeanour was very helpful.” Another source praised his familiarity with the needs of international financial institutions, noting: “It was clear to me that he was used to working with very sophisticated clients.” – Chambers and Partners 2017
“Clients say that Casper van Heerden “provides a fantastic service and takes care of everything.” He earns significant praise from commentators for his expertise in handling debt capital market transactions.” – Chambers and Partners 2016
“Casper is a well-known expert who orientates himself towards the business activities of his clients. He is solution driven and innovates to find practical, even-handed solutions.” – IFLR1000 2016