- Publications & Insights
Cathy (Catherine) Truter is a lawyer in our Johannesburg office Corporate Department, heading up the Knowledge Management function for the Mergers and Acquisition Practice.
Before stepping into this role, she was a partner in the firm’s Corporate Department and a member of the Mergers and Acquisitions Practice, focussing primarily on mergers and acquisitions, capital market transactions and general corporate law. She advises on public and private transactions, broad-based black economic empowerment transactions, restructurings, due diligence investigations and South African company law and has extensive experience managing cross-border African and international transactions. She also lived and worked in New York at Sullivan & Cromwell LLP in the project finance space.
Most recently she was the project lead for the proof of concept and roll-out of an artificial intelligence, machine learning solution across the Kenya, South Africa, Tanzania and Uganda offices of Bowmans.
She has a B.Sc from the University of Pretoria and an LLB from the University of the Witwatersrand. In 2021, she successfully completed the Leading Professional Services Firms Programme run by Saïd Business School at the University of Oxford, United Kingdom.
BSc (Pretoria University)
LLB (Post Graduate) (University of the Witwatersrand)
Publications & Insights
- South Africa: Technology-enabled M&A transactions – the material benefits
- COVID-19: impact on businesses and investments in South Africa
- COVID-19: Regulations in terms of the South African Disaster Management Act
- The Companies Amendment Bill, 2018: first draft for public comment
- Bowmans among the first in Africa’s legal market to invest in artificial intelligence