- Publications & Insights
Daniel Mwathe is a partner in our Nairobi office.
He specializes in intellectual property, technology, privacy, regulatory & compliance, pharmaceuticals & healthcare and employment law. His experience has included advising on brand protection and trademark registration, general commercial IP advice, software acquisition agreements, e-commerce, data privacy compliance requirements, consumer protection, promotions and advertising matters.
Daniel has an LLB from Moi University, a Masters of Laws from the University of London and a Diploma from the Kenya School of Law. He is an Advocate of the High Court of Kenya and also a Certified Public Secretary.
- Advising Uber on the setting up of operations in Kenya and regulation of ridesharing technology and the regulation of such products such as Uber boda boda and Uber Eats.
- Advising a social media company with respect to the laws and regulations applicable to elections in Kenya and the requirements in respect of advertisements and take down notices in Kenya.
- Advising Bharti Airtel on a Landing Provider Agreement for the Simba West Cable system.
- Advising Liquid Technologies on the structure and roll out of a new internet service product.
- Advising Stanbic Bank Kenya Limited, a subsidiary of the Standard Bank of South Africa on the use of electronic signatures on a digital product
- Advising on the Oracle – DocuSign usage protocol and the validity and enforceability of electronic signatures in Kenya.
- Advising Absa Kenya Limited (formerly Barclays Bank of Kenya) on the migration of its brand to ABSA. This involved advising the bank on the legal and regulatory requirements applicable to a change of name by a listed company.
- Advised Kansai Plascon Africa Ltd. (Kansai) in relation to their IP rights as a result of the acquisition of a 100% of Sadolin Paints.
- Assisting Centum Capital Partners Limited with trade mark search and registration in Kenya, Rwanda, Tanzania, Uganda, Ethiopia, Mauritius, Brazil, United Kingdom, France, Germany, Netherlands, and USA and UAE.
- Advising and undertaking a trademark filing project on behalf of UAP with respect to its various trademarks. Jurisdictions: Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania, Rwanda, Burundi, South Africa, Sudan, South Sudan, Mozambique, Angola, Nigeria, Ghana, Zambia, Ethiopia, Zimbabwe, Gabon, Cameroon, Senegal and DRC;
- Advising Glenmark Pharmaceuticals in respect of advertising, sales and marketing practices of pharmaceuticals in Kenya.
- Advising Masimo International on the regulation of medical devices in Kenya and its obligations under Medical Devices Registration Guidelines.
- Advised Uber B.V. and Uber Kenya on various regulatory and compliance matters; and
- Advised Procter & Gamble on various regulatory and compliance matters.
Publications & Insights
- Kenya: IP and Tech Digest: The Registration of data controllers and data processors commences
- Kenya: Data Protection Act – Ready for 14 July 2022? Registration as an ongoing process not an event
- Kenya: Snapshot: Analysis of the Data Protection Regulations – the next stage in data protection compliance in Kenya
- Kenya: Publication of the Data Protection Regulations, 2021
- Kenya: Review of the Copyright Amendment Bill, 2021
- Kenya: Data Protection in Kenya: Employment
- Kenya: Data Protection in Kenya: Consumer Protection
- Vaccine gap exposes opportunities and challenges for pharma in Africa
- Kenya: National rights registry updates: Data re-entry on the KECOBO digital platform
- East Africa Quarterly Newsletter
- Foreign Electronic Certification Service Providers Now Recognised By The CA
- E-Signature Essentials
- High Court clarifies legal position on conflicting trademark and business name rights
- Highlights on proposed law introducing strict regulation of Social Media
- Trade mark infringement: when proof of actual confusion is necessary
- Pertinent legal issues in the protection of mobile apps