- Publications & Insights
David Forfar heads our Oil and Gas Sector Group.
David specialises in upstream oil and gas matters with a particular focus on Production Sharing Agreements, Concessions and Host Government Instruments and on regulatory and compliance issues in Africa. Between 2008 and 2012, David was a lead lawyer in negotiations on exploration and production rights in South Africa while working in-house.
Prior to joining Bowmans, David was based in Aberdeen, a global hub for the oil and gas industry. During his time in Aberdeen he developed critical relationships in both technical and legal circles, and advised a far-Eastern NOC on a number of UKCS and Africa-related matters. He was also an active contributor to the Aberdeen oil and gas community’s relationship with Mozambique and participated in a number of strategic initiatives at ministerial level in both Aberdeen and Maputo.
David has a particular and on-going interest in Mozambique where he has advised a number of Ministries on oil and gas industry matters. With a previous academic career focussing on Japan, David has taken a keen interest in promoting and developing Japan’s oil and gas businesses ‘entry into Africa. London remains a key location in this respect where David maintains a number of contacts.
His previous experience includes time as a senior legal counsel for Canadian Natural Resources International (CNRI) in Aberdeen. At that time, he provided extensive advice on South Africa’s Mineral and Petroleum Resources Development Act and associated environmental and fiscal regulations. His experience also includes advising on exploration and production assets in Gabon and Cote d’Ivoire.
David has BA and PhD and degrees from the University of Essex, UK, and an MA from the University of Oxford, UK. He was also a Fellow in Modern Japanese Studies at the University of Oxford’s Wadham College.
- PSC’s, Concessions and related Host Government Instruments, Exploration and Production rights and associated secondary legislative instruments.
- Advice on farm-ins/farm-outs.
- Oil & Gas asset acquisitions and divestments.
- Joint Operating Agreements.
- Asset holding structures.
- Bilateral Investment Treaty advice.
- Advising on local content matters.
- Advised on OHADA/CEMAC matters.
- Litigation support for oil and gas matters provide further information.
- Working with and leading inter-disciplinary legal and technical teams on specific oil and gas projects.
Publications & Insights
- South Africa: Upstream Petroleum Resources Development Bill – potential impacts on upstream oil and gas companies
- The International Comparative Legal Guide to Oil & Gas Regulation 2018
- Upstream Oil and Gas Commercial considerations (Uganda & Tanzania)
- Upstream Oil and Gas Authorisation (South Africa)
- The International Legal Comparative Guide to Oil & Gas Regulation 2017: South Africa
- Positive Legislative Developments afoot for South Africa’s Oil and Gas Industry
- Global Legal Insights – Energy 5th Edition 2017 South Africa Chapter
- Bowmans grows African Oil & Gas offering with key partner appointment