- Publications & Insights
Derrick Kuteesa is an Associate in the corporate department of our Kampala Office.
Derrick joined the firm in 2016 having completed his post graduate diploma in legal practice at Law Development Centre. He practices Oil and Gas law, cross-border corporate and commercial law. His core practice areas are corporate commercial, Oil and gas, banking and finance law, cross-border transactional, legal and regulatory advice for both listed and non-listed companies seeking business opportunities in East Africa, Foreign Direct Investment advisory, Litigation and insolvency, restructuring and intellectual property law. Derrick has a special like for litigation and occasionally does litigation.
Derrick has also executed legal advisory services in the Oil and gas Sector particularly national content and joint ventures, Foreign Direct Investment particularly in developing industrial business parks and Employment matters.
He has been seconded to our Nairobi office with the corporate and M&A departments for a period of 6 months where he underwent training and also handled various cross-border transactions.
He holds a LLB (Hons) degree obtained from Nkumba University and a Bar Course from the Law Development Centre.
- Advised Kuku Foods Holdings East Africa Limited (KFEA) on its restructuring in all its East African subsidiary.
- Advised and set up Shimizu-Konoike Joint Venture (SK-JV) in Uganda for its road construction projects in Kampala.
- Advised China National Offshore Oils Corporation (CNOOC) on environmental, oil and gas matters, corporate, human resource and litigation matters in Uganda.
- On the instructions of Clyde & Co, Tanzania advising Frontier Enterprises Limited on the establishment of a subsidiary in Uganda for a total deal size of USD 1 million.
- Part of the team that advised a multi-country consortium member on the legal and regulatory aspects of the proposed construction of the Uganda oil refinery.
- Regularly advises Facebook, Shimizu-Konoike Joint Venture and Uber on their legal and regulatory compliance in Uganda.
- Worked alongside a Partner to advise a local company on corporate insolvency.
- Constantly handling company secretarial work for CNOOC, Hansa Engineering, Wananchi Group companies among others.
- Advised a multinational company on legal and regulatory aspects of incorporating a subsidiary, foreign company, tax obligations, obtaining an investment License, and acquiring an interest in for foreigners in Uganda.
- Worked alongside a Partner to carry out a legal due diligence and advising on the prospects of investing in an industrial park.
- Worked alongside a Partner to advise a Japanese multinational construction company on the legal regime for the construction industry in Uganda to enable it to participate in major construction of roads and structures.
- Appeared with a Partner in a labour disputes litigation worth UGX 1.5 billion at the High court in Uganda.
- Constantly appeared with Partners in litigation for both criminal and civil cases.