Dirk Wessels is a partner in the Corporate Department of our Johannesburg office.
He specialises in mergers and acquisitions and general corporate and commercial law. He advised a range of multinational companies in cross-border mergers and acquisitions and some of the world’s major banks on disposals, capital raisings, acquisitions and share subscriptions.
He has B.Com and LLB degrees from the University of Stellenbosch and a Certificate in Advanced Company Law from the University of the Witwatersrand.
He is admitted as a Solicitor of the Senior Courts of England and Wales.
- Represented ETG Group Limited as seller in relation to the partial share acquisition by Mitsui & Co. in a transaction valued at approximately USD 265 million.
- Advised Marriott International in relation to its acquisition of the Protea Hospitality Group across seven African jurisdictions for a deal value of R 2.02 billion. In 2015, we received the M&A Team of the Year award from African Legal Awards in relation to this deal
- Advised BP plc in relation to its black economic empowerment transaction in terms of which Kapela Investments acquired 20%, and the BPSA Education Foundation acquired 5%, of the entire issued share capital of BP Southern Africa Proprietary Limited
- Represented Oger Telecom in the disinvestment of its majority stake in, and the recapitalisation of, Cell-C, the third largest telecoms operator in South Africa
- Advised BNP Paribas S.A. in its acquisition of all of the shares in RCS Investment Holdings Limited from JSE listed shareholders, The Foschini Group Limited and The Standard Bank of South Africa Limited
- Represented Vitol SA in its proposed acquisition of Optimum Coal Terminal which holds 7.61% in the Richards Bay Coal Terminal
- Dirk was also part of the team advising InterXion Holding N.V. on the listing of its shares for trading on the New York Stock Exchange, Allied Irish Banks plc on the disposal of loans worth approximately EUR 24.2 billion to the Irish National Asset Management Agency, Lloyds Banking Group plc on its GBP 21 billion capital raising and Merrill Lynch & Co in respect of its acquisition by Bank of America Corporation