- Publications & Insights
Effie Omondi is a senior associate in our Nairobi office.
She specialises in litigation and alternative dispute resolution. She has acted for a variety of local and international corporate clients in various litigious matters in advisory capacity as well as legal representation in all the levels of the Courts in Kenya.
She has an LLB from Moi University and a Postgraduate Diploma from the Kenya School of Law. Effie is a member of the Law Society of Kenya, the Institute of Certified Public Secretaries of Kenya and the Institute of Certified Public Accountants of Kenya. She is an Advocate of the High Court of Kenya, a Certified Public Secretary and as well as a Certified Public Accountant.
- WPP Scangroup PLC in relation to obtain the leave of the court to allow public listed companies to hold virtual general meetings due to the imposition of restrictions against public gatherings in the wake of the covid-19 pandemic.
- WPP Scangroup PLC in successfully defending its “Landor” trademark and having the infringing company name struck off from the Companies’ register.
- Ericsson Kenya Limited in relation to a claim lodged by its former employees in the Employment and Labour Relations Court (ELRC) and in the Court of Appeal. The cases clarified the issues of deductions exceeding statutory limit and the thresholds for employee discriminations.
- Acted for top insurers in an arbitration matter and successfully preserving a USD 7 Million performance bond.
- Acting for Mercy Corps in various litigious and advisory matters.
- Carrying out corporate investigations local and international companies, and developing various police framework documents.
- Successfully defending Swissport Kenya in procurement, construction and environmental claims.
- Successfully defending Bavaria N.V. by Jovet Kenya Limited in a EUR 7.344 million claim.
- Cipla Limited, one of the largest pharmaceutical companies in the world, in a trade mark and passing off claim.
- Microsoft East Africa and Microsoft Corporation in a copyright claim.
- Acting for the directors of a bank in receivership, in various suits in the High Court, that will set precedent on receiverships in Kenya.
- Acting for Lufthansa Service Europa/Afrika GmbH & LSG Kenya Limited in two suits both of which will set precedent in Kenya in relation to inter alia, the ability of Advocates to claim copyright over commissioned works.
- Acting for Mare Nostrum Limited in relation to a multi-million shilling building and construction arbitration dispute over the construction of a resort at the Kenyan coast.
- Acted for Grain Bulk Handlers Limited in a precedent-setting case brought under section 14 of the Arbitration Act, 1995; in relation to a multi-million dollar arbitration claim. The claim was successful.