- Publications & Insights
Francis Kamuzora is a senior associate in our Dar es Salaam office.
He has more than 10 years’ experience advising clients on intellectual property law (particularly trade marks and patents, both contentious and non-contentious), tax, employment and general commercial law. He has handled numerous tax and employment, capital markets and securities, anti-trust and litigious matters.
Highlights of Francis’ experience include:
Intellectual Property Litigation:
- Representing Godrej Consumer Products Limited before the High Court of Tanzania in a Passing-off action against Target International (T) Limited involving Defendant’s imitation of Godrej’s HIT products;
- Representing Godrej Consumer Products Limited before High Court of Tanzania and the Court of Appeal of Tanzania in proceedings for restoration of a cancelled Trade Mark against HB Worldwide Limited, involving cancellation of Godrej’s HIT Trade Mark from the Register of Trade Marks on allegations of none-use;
- Representing Godrej Consumer Products Limited before the High Court and Court of Appeal in relation to Opposition proceedings against HB Worldwide Limited and the Registrar of Trade and Service Marks involving an attempted registration of the “HIT” Trade Mark by HB Worldwide Limited;
- Representing Shinyanga Emporium (1978) Ltd before the High Court of Tanzania in Trade Mark infringement (NEELAM) litigation against Kishan Enterprises Ltd, and also before the Registrar of Trade and Service Marks in trade mark cancellation proceedings filed by Seth Industrial Corporation.
- Representing Sineria Holland B.V. in proceedings for cancellation of several registered Trade Marks against in the name of Sineria Holland B.V. by Mukpar Tanzania Limited on allegations of none-use;
- Representing Enterprise Holdings Inc. in Opposition proceedings against Easy Travel and Tours Limited involving an imitation of Enterprise Holsings Inc. Stylized “e” Trade Mark.
- Representing Budweiser Budvar National Corporation before the Registrar of Trade and Service Marks in Trade mark Opposition proceedings involving the BUDWEISER Trade Mark.
- Representing Philip Morris Products SA in Trade Mark before the Registrar of Trade and Service Marks in Opposition proceedings involving the MARLBORO Rooftop device.
- Representing Viacom International Inc. before the Registrar of Trade and Service Marks in opposition proceedings against Glitz Entertainment Ltd in a Trade Mark dispute over the UNPLUGGED Trade Mark.
General Commercial and Employment Law Litigation:
- Part of the team acting for JC Decaux Tanzania Limited before the High Court of Tanzania against Imperial Media Agencies Limited and Another, in a dispute involving a breach of contract.
- Part of the team acting for Queensway Tanzania EPZ Limited in a Winding up Petition before the High Court of Tanzania against a debtor company for failure to pay debts;
- Representing Westcon Africa Operations before the High Court of Tanzania in a Petition for Winding-up of a debtor company for failure to pay debts;
- Representing Brand Fusion Marketing Limited before the High Court of Tanzania in a Petition for Winding up of a certain debtor company for failure to pay debts;
- Advising Fastjet Aviation Limited as a creditor claiming in the winding up of Fastjet Tanzania Limited;
- Representing Africa Barrick North Mara Gold Mine before the Tarime District Land and Housing Tribunal in a land dispute.
- Being part of the team that represented Serengeti Breweries Ltd in an unfair competition enquiry/ proceedings before the Fair Competition Commission.
- Representing MMC Limited before the High Court of Tanzania in a civil suit involving allegations of breach of a Mining contract.
- Representing Weir Services Tanzania Limited before the Court of Appeal of Tanzania in a labour dispute involving claims and allegations of unfair termination of an employment contract.
- Representing Larson & Toubro Limited before the Commission for Mediation and Arbitration in Employment Law dispute involving allegations of unfair termination of an employment contract.
Publications & Insights
- IP and Technology East African Quarterly November 2021 Newsletter
- Tanzania: Godrej case – re-examining the jurisdiction of the Commercial Court
- The Ban on Cryptocurrency in Tanzania
- Combating Counterfeiting Through Electronic Tax Stamps
- Amendments to copyright and film laws set the scene for change
- Tanzania Registrar’s trade mark ruling signals a departure from current practice
- Privacy and Data Protection in Tanzania (part 2)
- Privacy and Data Protection in Tanzania (part 1)
- Parallel imports remain a grey area for IP rights in East Africa
- Copyright enforcement in Tanzania