Haawa is a senior associate in the Corporate Department of our Kampala office.
She concentrates her practice in asset acquisitions, mergers, cross-border transactions, competition issues, tax issues, regulatory law and other complex transactions across a wide range of industries, including private equity, telecommunications and manufacturers. She is also experienced in drafting of commercial agreements and provides ongoing corporate advice to private companies.
Haawa holds a Bachelor of Laws Degree from Makerere University, a Post Graduate Diploma in Legal Practice from Law Development Centre and a Post Graduate Diploma in Tax Law and Revenue Administration from the East African School of Taxation. She is currently pursuing The Chartered Secretaries Qualifying Scheme (CSQS) from The Chartered Governance Institute.
- Advised Sanlam Emerging Markets Proprietary Limited in a proposed purchase of PineBridge Investments East Africa Limited (PineBridge), in relation to a proposed acquisition of 60% shares of PineBridge.
- Advised GE Capital Aviation Services, the world’s leading commercial aircraft and engine lessor and lender on the legal regime governing aircraft and engine leasing in Uganda
- Advised a leading international services provider in the information technology sector on regulatory matters in the information technology sector in Uganda.
- Advised Real People Financial Services (Uganda) Limited on its private placement offer of shares in Real People Kenya Limited to select investors.
- On the instructions of Herbert smith Freehills LLP advising China National Offshore Oils Corporation (CNOOC) on the farm-in of one third of Tullow Oil’s interest in 3 oil exploration blocks in Western Uganda for a total deal size of USD 1.467 billion.
- Advised GL Africa Energy Limited, one of the leading investors in energy solutions in the Great lakes and Southern Africa Regions, on the proposed acquisition of interest in MSS XSABO Power Limited and the resultant acquisition of stake and interest in a 20MW/AC installed Solar PV capacity project at Kabulasoke, Uganda.
- Advised GL Africa Energy Limited on various tax aspects in Uganda and the tax implications of its proposed acquisition of an interest in MSS XSABO Power Limited Uganda.
- Advised Roko Construction Limited, one of the leading construction Company in Uganda, and conducted a Uganda law legal vendor due diligence on Roko Construction Limited, pursuant to a proposed listing on the Uganda Securities Exchange and the Nairobi Securities Exchange.
- Advised Wanainchi Group on the proposed closure of the operations of Wanainchi Group Uganda Limited in Uganda and winding up processes and procedure under Ugandan law.
- Advised Africa Initiative and conducted a due diligence on the investments in the Kampala Business Industrial Park (KBIP), pursuant to the proposed foreign investment into KBIP.
- On the instructions of Clyde & Co, Tanzania advising Frontier Enterprises Limited on the establishment of a subsidiary in Uganda for a total deal size of USD 1 million.
- Advised on the proposed acquisition of a lead manufacturer and distributor of Uganda’s fast moving consumer goods.
- Currently representing Bank of Uganda in a civil claim filed against it for compensation of Ushs 3,079,165,475/=.
- China National Offshore Oils Corporation (CNOOC) (retained counsel), advising on oil and gas matters, corporate and litigation matters in Uganda.
- Advised Abbott Laboratories and Conservation International on employment and tax law aspects in Uganda.
- Currently advising one of the leading real estate property owners in Sweden on recovery of over USD 6.3 million.