- Publications & Insights
James Westgate is a partner in the Corporate Department at Bowmans Johannesburg office.
He is experienced in a number of legal areas with a focus on corporate transactions, including private equity, cross-border mergers and acquisitions (M&A), due diligence, acquisition and structured finance and general corporate advice.
James spent six months abroad during a secondment to Maitland & Co in London.
His expertise has been recognised by various international research organisations including IFLR1000 (M&A).
- Mergers and acquisitions, including local and cross-border transactions
- Private equity
- Acquisition finance
- General corporate and commercial law
- Convergence in respect of the acquisition of a significant stake in FibreCo; restructuring of shareholding arrangements in VGG; and subscription to shares in Snapt; investment into DarkFibre and Vumatel
- Standard Chartered Private Equity Mauritius III in respect of the Afrifresh restructure and disposal; acquisition of a strategic stake in Choppies
- South Suez Capital Limited in respect of the establishment of its South Suez Africa Fund II; advised South Suez on its co-investment (with the Abraaj Group) in Fan Milk, Nigeria and its co-investment (with Actis) into a retail property development in Abuja
- Ethos in its acquisition of a stake in Eaton Towers; disposal of Idwala
- Rockwood in its disposal of Tsebo
- IFLR1000’s 2020 Financial and Corporate Guide rated James Westgate as a Notable Practitioner in South Africa for Private Equity, M&A.
- IFLR1000’s 2019 Financial and Corporate Guide rated James as a Notable Practitioner.
- James’ expertise has been recognised by IFLR1000 in M&A, 2011.