- Publications & Insights
Jan Kruger is a partner in our Cape Town office’s Banking and Finance Department.
He specialises in banking and finance law. Jan advises clients in South Africa, but also throughout Africa on large, complex and cross-border transactions as well as international clients on cross-border transactions into Africa. He has advised most South African financial institutions, several international banks as well as borrowers, which are involved in these transactions.
Jan is an expert in Preference Share Funding transactions, including BEE transactions, having more than 20 years’ experience in this field. Jan also specialises in other forms of structured finance as well as asset finance, leveraged finance, syndicated lending and property finance.
Prior to joining Bowmans, Jan worked for the Industrial Development Corporation of South Africa as a Senior Legal Advisor and he was the Head of Legal Investment Banking (Global) and Head of Legal for the Corporate and Investment Banking (SA) at The Standard Bank of South Africa Limited.
He has B.Com (Law), LLB (both awarded cum laude) and LLM (Constitutional Practice and Human Rights) degrees from the University of Pretoria and an LLM (Tax) from the University of the Witwatersrand.
- Restructuring of Mediclinic BEE transaction.
- Preference Share Funding in both the MTN and Vodacom BEE structures.
- Restructuring of Shanduka/Pembani Group.
- Preference Share Financing of original shareholders in SPAC listing.
- Ship Financing transactions in Namibia.
- Aircraft financing in Ethiopia and Cote D’Ivoire.
- Financing of Hospital in Kenya.
- Financing of Shopping Mall in Zambia.
- Several Preference Share funding transactions for acquisitions and projects.
- Restructuring of syndicated funding with regards to a group of companies doing business in South Africa, Mauritius and Australia.
- Advising syndicate of lenders in funding for South African parastatal.
- Advising BEE groups on acquisitions and raising of funding.
- Advising London based advisory group on transactions in Nigeria, South Africa and DRC.
- Chambers and Partners 2020, 2019, 2018 & 2017 ranked Jan in Band 4 for Banking and Finance.
- IFLR1000’s 2020, 2019 & 2018 Financial and Corporate Guide rated Jan as a Highly Regarded Lawyer for Banking.
- Legal 500, 2017 lists Jan as a recommended lawyer for Banking and Finance.
‘Jan Kruger is highlighted for his extensive experience representing clients in domestic and international proceedings that relate to general banking facilities and aircraft financing, among others. An interviewee stated: “I am always impressed by his method and his attention to detail.” – Chambers and Partners 2020
“Jan Kruger is an experienced practitioner whose work includes asset finance, structured finance and acquisition finance. Sources describe him as “top-drawer: commercial, practical and reasonable.” – Chambers and Partners 2019
“Cape Town-based Jan Kruger is highlighted as someone who “stands out” in the market. He is well versed on project finance matters, refinancing and loan facilities, with additional knowledge of Islamic finance. He has spent time working in-house at Standard Bank.” – Chambers and Partners 2018
“Cape Town-based Jan Kruger is very well known in the market, having built a considerable profile during his years as an in-house lawyer at Standard Bank. He was the lead partner advising lead arranger Rand Merchant Bank on a major bridge financing facility connected to Mediclinic’s merger with the Al Noor Group. Clients remark on his “easygoing demeanour.” – Chambers and Partners 2017