- Publications & Insights
Jan Kruger is a partner in our Cape Town office Banking and Finance Department.
He specialises in banking and finance law. Jan advises clients in South Africa, but also throughout Africa on large, complex and cross-border transactions as well as international clients on cross-border transactions into Africa. He has advised most South African financial institutions, several international banks and development institutions as well as borrowers, which are involved in these transactions.
Jan is an expert in Preference Share Funding transactions, including BEE transactions, having more than 25 years’ experience in this field. Jan also specialises in other forms of structured finance as well as asset finance, leveraged finance, syndicated lending and property finance.
Prior to joining Bowmans, Jan worked for the Industrial Development Corporation of South Africa as a Senior Legal Advisor and he was the Head of Legal: Investment Banking (Global) and Head of Legal for the Corporate and Investment Banking (SA) at The Standard Bank of South Africa Limited.
He has BCom (Law), LLB (both awarded cum laude) and LLM (Constitutional Practice and Human Rights) degrees from the University of Pretoria and an LLM (Tax) from the University of the Witwatersrand.
- Advising Capitec Bank Limited in its acquisition of Mercantile Bank
- Advising South African banks on structures to enhance Tier I and II capital position
- Advising African Rainbow Capital in respect of the restructuring of its financial assets and the funding related thereto and Sanlam’s acquisition of 25% in these assets
- Advising African Rainbow Capital in respect of its investment in Kropz Plc and its UK listing
- Advising the Old Mutual Hybrid Equity Fund and Old Mutual Specialised Finance on several preference share and BEE funding transactions
- Advising Helios Fairfax Partners on several restructuring and funding transactions in respect of their assets throughout Africa
- Advising The Standard Bank of South Africa Limited in the restructuring of its BEE transaction
- Advising several banks and borrowers in the hospitality and gaming industry in restructuring of facilities during Covid period
- Advising several international development finance institutions in their investments in preference share funding in the SA market
- Advising South African Breweries in the restructure and funding of its BEE transaction
- Mediclinic BEE transaction.
- Preference Share Funding in both the MTN and Vodacom BEE structures.
- Restructuring of Shanduka/Pembani Group.
- Preference Share Financing of original shareholders in SPAC listing.
- Ship Financing transactions in Namibia.
- Aircraft financing in South Africa, Mauritius, Kenya, Ethiopia and Cote D’Ivoire.
- Financing of Hospital in Kenya.
- Financing of Shopping Malls in South Africa and Zambia.
- Several Preference Share funding transactions for acquisitions and projects, specifically funding and refinancing equity in the renewable energy space.
- Restructuring of syndicated funding with regards to a group of companies doing business in South Africa, Mauritius and Australia.
- Advising syndicate of lenders in funding for South African parastatal.
- Advising BEE groups on acquisitions and raising of funding.
- Advising London based advisory group on transactions in Nigeria, South Africa and DRC.
- Chambers and Partners consistently ranked Jan in Band 4 for his work in Banking and Finance for the past five consecutive years (2017 to 2021).
- IFLR1000’s Financial and Corporate Guide consistently rated Jan as a Highly Regarded Lawyer for his working in the Banking space for the past four consecutive years (2018 to 2021).
- Legal 500, 2017 lists Jan as a recommended lawyer for Banking and Finance.
‘Jan Kruger is a “very experienced” lawyer who is valued by clients for his ability to “provide solid and consistent advice under extreme conditions.” He is active assisting with construction and acquisition financing, as well as restructuring.’ – Chambers and Partners, 2021
‘Jan Kruger is highlighted for his extensive experience representing clients in domestic and international proceedings that relate to general banking facilities and aircraft financing, among others. An interviewee stated: “I am always impressed by his method and his attention to detail.” – Chambers and Partners 2020
“Jan Kruger is an experienced practitioner whose work includes asset finance, structured finance and acquisition finance. Sources describe him as “top-drawer: commercial, practical and reasonable.” – Chambers and Partners 2019
“Cape Town-based Jan Kruger is highlighted as someone who “stands out” in the market. He is well versed on project finance matters, refinancing and loan facilities, with additional knowledge of Islamic finance. He has spent time working in-house at Standard Bank.” – Chambers and Partners 2018
“Cape Town-based Jan Kruger is very well known in the market, having built a considerable profile during his years as an in-house lawyer at Standard Bank. He was the lead partner advising lead arranger Rand Merchant Bank on a major bridge financing facility connected to Mediclinic’s merger with the Al Noor Group. Clients remark on his “easygoing demeanour.” – Chambers and Partners 2017