Japie Storm is a Manager in the Dispute Resolution Department and a member of the Corporate Investigations Practice.
Japie has over 8 years’ experience in fraud and corruption investigations, corporate compliance assessments, Anti Bribery and Corruption reviews (FCPA, UK Bribery and PRECCA), due diligence reviews and related forensic services.
Prior to joining Bowmans, Japie was an Assistant Manager in the Forensics department of a Big 4 accounting firm, where he gained experience in a number of fields, industries, and jurisdictions. He is a Certified Fraud Examiner and Forensic Practitioner of South Africa.
Japie’s previous experience includes, inter alia:
- Assistance to a financial services regulator with investigations into possible contraventions of the Exchange Control Regulations.
- Investigating various allegations of fraud, corruption and financial irregularities at a large parastatal operating in the energy sector. The allegations involved various aspects of the client’s business and operations, on a national level, ranging from procurement fraud, payment fraud, conflicts of interest, collusion, favouritism, etc.
- Investigating allegations of fraud at a client operating in the telecommunication sector. Allegations involved procurement irregularities and certain contraventions of legislative requirements.
- Investigating allegations of procurement and Human Resource recruitment irregularities at a large mining client operational in Botswana.
- Investigating allegations made against a high profile individual at a large government institution operating in the tourism industry. Allegations involved procurement irregularities, contraventions of the Public Finance Management Act, and favouritism.
- Anti-money laundering (“AML”) and sanction contravention investigations. Following AML control failures, Japie performed heightened transaction monitoring of an international financial institutions United Arab Emirates branch to identify potential suspicious/high risk transactions.
- Investigating irregularities relating to the theft of coal by a coal handling facility providing services to large parastatal operating in the energy sector.
- Investigating allegations of corruption at a large government institution. Allegations included undue influence by employees as it pertains to the recruitment and selection process, as well as travel processes and procedures.
- Investigating favouritism allegations at a large state owned entity. Allegations involved potential collusion between the employer and suppliers as it relates to accommodation services provided.
- Investigating allegations made against a high profile individual at a large government institution operating in the tourism industry. Allegations ranged from procurement irregularities to favouritism of suppliers.
- Investigating allegations of procurement fraud / irregularities at a government entity operating in the mining sector.
- Investigating large scale corruption at an international mining group’s operations in South Africa. The allegations included, inter alia, favouritism, conflict of interest and tender irregularities.
- Multiple FCPA and UKBA Anti-Bribery and Corruption compliance reviews. These assessments were done as part of pre-and post-acquisition due diligences, or as part of heightened monitoring by clients following deferred prosecution agreements.