- Publications & Insights
Jonathan is a Senior Associate in our Johannesburg office and a member of the Dispute Resolution Department specialising in Commercial Litigation and International Arbitration.
His expertise extends to transactional disputes, contractual claims, mining-related disputes and urgent High Court proceedings. Jonathan has also worked extensively in the food and beverage sector and has successfully defended South Africa’s largest brewery in litigation and arbitration proceedings.
He is a qualified mediator accredited by both the Africa Centre for Dispute Settlement and the Centre for Effective Dispute Resolution in the United Kingdom
Jonathan has BA and LLB degrees from the University of the Witwatersrand and an LLM degree from the University of Edinburgh.
- Represented an African mining consortium in International Aribtration proceedings instituted in the International Chamber of Commerce.
- Successfully defended South Africa’s largest brewery against a multi-million Rand damages claim in arbitration proceedings.
- Defending a non-profit sports club against historical land access claims brought in the High Court, and on appeal to the Supreme Court of Appeal, arising out of alleged servitudinal and other access rights.
- Acting for a large corporate taxpayer in litigation proceedings against the South African Revenue Service.
- Defending a multinational information technology company against alleged breaches of a commercial lease agreement.
- Represented one of the country’s largest beverage manufacturers in commercial and contractual disputes across its range of operations.
- Advised clients in relation to matters brought under the National Credit Act, including a request for a statement in terms of section 114 of the National Credit Act.