- Publications & Insights
Jonathan is a senior associate in our Kampala office.
In 2013, upon completion of his Bachelor of Laws Degree, Jonathan interned at the Judicial Chambers of the United Nations International Criminal Tribunal for Rwanda in Arusha. Later that year he joined the Law Development Centre for the Diploma in Legal Practice. In 2014, upon completion of the Diploma in Legal Practice, Jonathan joined AF Mpanga Advocates (Bowmans Uganda) as a Candidate Attorney and has grown to the role of Senior Associate.
While at AF Mpanga Advocates, Jonathan has participated in several due diligence exercises for mergers and acquisitions, drafted legal opinions on varied corporate matters, and advised the firm’s banking and finance clients in different financing transactions. He regularly acts for the firm’s corporate clients in a corporate secretarial capacity; reviewing commercial agreements; advising on employment matters and drafting pleadings in litigious matters.
- Advised Citibank N.A. London comprehensively on the Capital Markets legal regime in Uganda.
- On the instructions of Clifford Chance LLP, currently advising and acting for one of the world’s largest receivables companies on a restructuring of its Group facilities worth USD 96 Million.
- Currently advising two of the largest financial institutions in the region on a restructuring of facilities worth over USD 63.5 Million granted to a major player in Uganda’s hospitality sector.
- Acted for and advised Equity Bank Uganda Limited and Equity Bank Kenya Limited in a syndicated lending of USD 70 Million to Mahathi Infra Uganda Limited for the construction of a jetty and four barges to use in the transportation of petroleum products across Lake Victoria.
- Regularly advise USAID office in Uganda on legal matters pertaining to their operations in Uganda.
- Advised and acted for Inclusive Impact Investments BV and Oxfam Novib in financing transactions worth about USD 5,000,000 to small and medium enterprises in Uganda that have a big social impact
- Advised the The Islamic Corporation for the Development of the Private Sector (“ICD”) an associate of the Islamic Development Bank on a proposed line of finance structure to Uganda Development Bank Limited under the recently passed Islamic Finance law of Uganda. The line of finance was estimated at USD 20,000,000 and is thought to be the first Islamic finance transaction in Uganda.
- Advised the Albertine Grabben Refinery Consortium (composed of General Electric, Yaatra Ventures LLC, Intra-continent Asset Holdings Limited and Sapiem SPA) on the regulatory aspects in its negotiations with the Government of Uganda to construct and operate the Uganda Oil Refinery.
- Acted for the former Executive Director of Uganda’s leading pension fund in the Supreme Court of Uganda in a criminal appeal against a conviction of causing financial loss and abuse of office contrary to Uganda’s Anti- Corruption statute as a result of selling bonds before maturity date.
- Conducted a post listing due diligence exercise on Vivo Energy Uganda Limited to confirm compliance with the JSE and LSE post listing requirements.
- Retained by Simmons & Simmons LLP to regularly update the Navigator Platform on developments in Uganda’s capital markets.
- Acted for 8 Miles LLP (a private equity firm) and its consortium in a legal due diligence exercise in its acquisition of an 80% shareholding in Orient Bank Uganda Limited.
- On the instructions of Baker Botts LLP, advised Halliburton Company in its proposed acquisition of shares of Baker Hughes on the labour law aspects of the acquisition and the requisite regulatory approvals under Uganda’s labour law regime.
- Advised African Queen Limited, Uganda’s leading fast consumer goods distributing company on its transfer of employees to another company as part of a private equity investment of transaction into African Queen by Ascent Capital.
- Participated in a legal due diligence exercise on behalf of the Export-Import Bank of China in a facility to Guangzhou Dongsong Energy Group (U) Co., Ltd to finance a mining project in Tororo, Uganda.
- Advised Cipla Limited and Cipla Quality Chemicals Uganda Limited leading manufacturer of Anti-retroviral drugs in East Africa on a proposed cross-listing on the Uganda Securities Exchange and the Nairobi Securities Exchange.
- Carried out a red-flag legal due diligence exercise on the business of Multichoice Uganda Limited in Uganda and advised the company on various rectification measures in the same.
- Advised Business Partners International, a company involved in giving financial support to small and medium enterprises in setting up operations in Uganda; regularly gives corporate and commercial law advice to Business Partners International.
- Member of a team that reviewed and advised DFCU Bank Uganda Limited on loan portfolio acquired from Crane Bank Uganda Limited.
- Advised Uber Technologies an international transport company in setting up of operations in Uganda and the regulatory framework in Uganda’s transport sector.
- Advised Facebook Inc on the instructions of White & Case LLP on matters of defamation in Uganda and regulatory framework in Uganda’s telecommunications sector.
- Regularly acts for Google Uganda Limited and C-Squared Limited in a company secretarial capacity.
- Advised Citibank Uganda Limited on cyber laws, anti- money laundering laws and anti-terrorism laws in Uganda, the Financial Institutions Amendment Act, 2016 and its effect on the bank’s business and several other regulatory matters on a regular basis.
- Advised the Church of Latter Day Saints on the employment regime in Uganda.
- Acted for an International Non-Governmental Organization, International Refugee Trust in a matter where the INGO was defrauded by one of its principals in Uganda.
- Advised Compassion International on the payment of gratuity and retirement benefits to their employees.
Publications & Insights
- Uganda: Regulatory Update – NGO/ CSO compliance with the Data Protection and Privacy Act 2019
- Uganda: Court finds actions of freezing bank accounts by the Financial Intelligence Authority illegal
- East Africa: Restructuring Quarterly Bulletin June 2022
- Uganda: Court clarifies foreign partnerships registration requirements
- Uganda: Court dismisses a public interest suit against the Petroleum Authority of Uganda and two leading international oil companies
- East Africa: Restructuring Quarterly Bulletin November 2021
- Uganda: The National Climate Change Bill, 2020 – some take homes for corporates
- Uganda: SafeBoda found in breach of data privacy laws
- COVID-19: Legal considerations for businesses in Uganda
- Coronavirus disease outbreak: some legal considerations for businesses in Uganda
- Chambers Law and Practice Guide on Banking and Finance 2019 – Uganda chapter
- The Chambers Global Practice Guide on Banking & Finance 2019 Second Edition
- Fraud in land transactions