Judd Lurie is a partner in our Johannesburg office Competition Practice and has experience practicing in both South Africa and the United Kingdom.
He specialises in all aspects of competition law including mergers (in South Africa as well as in various African jurisdictions, including COMESA), prohibited practices (horizontal, vertical and abuse of dominance), leniency applications, complaints and compliance reviews and training. He regularly advises on high-profile matters across Africa, many with multijurisdictional impact.
Judd has authored articles for a variety of local and international publications and regularly presents at competition law conferences.
- The South African competition aspects of BASF’s USD 3.2 billion acquisition of the entire share capital of Rockwood Specialties Group and of Chemetall.
- Boehringer Ingelheim in respect of a business swap transaction with Sanofi in terms of Boehringer Ingelheim will take control of Sanofi’s animal health business (Merial) and Sanofi will take control of over Boehringer Ingelheim’s consumer healthcare business.
- Tata Communications in respect of the disposal of its interest in Neotel, South Africa’s second fixed line operator.
- Orange (formerly France Telecom) in respect of its acquisition of Millicom Tigo (a mobile network operator with a mobile banking business) in the DRC.
- Marriott Group in respect of its acquisition of Protea Hospitality Group. The transaction was notified to and approved by competition authorities in South Africa and Tanzania as well as by the COMESA Competition Commission.
- BNP Paribas in respect of its acquisition of in RCS Investment Holdings. The transaction was notified and approved in South Africa, Botswana and Namibia.
- The global merger of the trade publishing businesses of Random House and Penguin.
- GlaxoSmithKline’s divestment of non-core consumer healthcare over-the-counter brands to Omega Pharma.
- The strategic alliance between Cable & Wireless Communications and Columbus Networks to develop their international wholesale capacity businesses in the Pan-American region.
- Defending a major multinational in respect of a complaint lodged against it with the European Commission regarding its intellectual property licensing activities (part of the much publicized patent disputes between the various technology giants).
- Advising various companies in respect of competition law investigations and dawn raids conducted by competition authorities in South Africa elsewhere in Africa too.
- Chambers and Partners, 2018 recognised Judd as an Up and Coming practitioner for Competition/ Antritrust.
- Recognised in Who’s Who Legal: Competition 2017- Future Leaders: Recognition of the foremost practitioners in this area aged 45 and under as at 31 December 2017.