Julian is an Investigations manager in the firm’s Corporate Investigations practice. He joined Bowmans in 2017, having previously studied his BCom Hons Forensic Accounting degree at the North-West University.
He completed the following Chartered Accountant modules in order to qualify for Honour degree studies:
- Financial Management
- Management Accounting
Julian is an associate member of the ACFE.
Some of the investigations Julian has been involved in include:
Forensic investigation experience
- Complex data analysis of large-scale data including information from SAP, JDE, Sage etc:
- Investigation into and reconciliation of R25 billion (over 215,000 transactions) for a large financial institution.
- Perform complex data analysis relating to irregular fuel usage at a signal tower provider and assist in arbitration proceeding where relevant.
- Quantification of penalties payable by a large rental company as a result of non-performance in terms of key performance indicators as stipulated as per the contract with the customer.
- Investigation into fraud, corruption and theft
- Investigation into an ICT services providers contracts with ESD’s to determine and financial irregularities.
- Investigation into irregular expenditures and procurement fraud relating to ICT services at one of South Africa’s large banking institutions.
- Financial analysis
- Investigation into a large mining company to determine any gross negligence of top management, including but not limited to: analysis of financial statements, production report and management accounts.
- Investigation of trusts accounts and contravention of fiduciary duties in terms of the Companies Act.
- Investigation in Public sector
- Investigation of tender manipulation and large water entity.
- Contravention of contracts and National Treasury regulation.
- Contravention of the PFMA.
- Conduct information seeking interviews.
- Preparing a summary report of background, individual and company searches conducted by using appropriate methods and relevant databases.
Disciplinary and employment experience
- Compile evidence bundles for disciplinary proceedings
- Assist in disciplinary procedures after irregularities were found after an internal investigation at a large mining company.
Civil recoveries experience
- Quantification of claims after the completion of investigation.
- Assisting of litigation proceedings including:
- Preparing claims and counter claims;
- Preparing summary affidavits;
- Preparing witness statements;
- Preparing and compiling discovery.
Criminal matter assistance
- Preparing A1 affidavits;
- Preparing affidavits in line with relevant reporting responsibilities i.e. Prevention and Combating of Corrupt Activities Act, Financial Intelligence Centre Act.
- Assistances to register case with relevant authorities;
- Assistance of authorities by way of analysis of bank account statements during criminal proceedings.