Kabwela is a partner in the Dispute Resolution Deparment of our Johannesburg office and a member of the Litigation Practice. She joined Bowmans in 2018.
Kabwela’s experience includes acting in several of the major class actions in South Africa. She also has experience in commercial arbitrations, High Court, Supreme Court and Constitutional Court litigation, mediation, commissions of inquiry and National Consumer Tribunal proceedings. Kabwela has also been involved in tax litigation for major mining companies and due diligences for various international corporations. Her experience has given her knowledge of the following industries and areas: mining, consumer banking, pension funds, tax, energy and infrastructure, advertising, transport and motors, fast-moving consumer goods, construction and corporate governance.
Kabwela has BSc, BSc (Hons) and LLB degrees from Rhodes University.
- Advising and conducting litigation on behalf of major corporate shareholders in shareholder disputes;
- Legal matters relating to the listeriosis outbreak, including the class certification proceedings (acting on behalf of Tiger Consumer Brands Limited)
- Acting in the Transnet class action – Pretorius and Kwapa v the Transnet Second Defined Benefit Fund and others (acting for the Transport Pension Fund and the Transnet Second Defined Benefit Fund)
- Acting in the silicosis class action – Bongani Nkala and others v Harmony Gold Mining Company and others (acting for AngloGold Ashanti)
- Acting in the “Bread” class action – Children’s Resource Centre Trust and Other v Pioneer Food (Pty) Ltd and Others (acting on behalf of Tiger Consumer Brands Limited ) and Mukkadam v Pioneer Foods (Pty) Ltd and Others (acting on behalf of Tiger Consumer Brands Limited )
- Acting in a promotion of access to information dispute – Mahaeene & Another v AngloGold Ashanti (acting for AngloGold Ashanti).
- Acted in an arbitration between a coal mining company and Eskom relating to a coal supply dispute
- Legal matters related to the Ford Kuga recall and related litigation (acting for Ford Motor Company of South Africa).
- Transfer pricing disputes for three major mining companies.
- Acted for Mr Cyril Ramaphosa at the Marikana Commission of Inquiry.
* Includes experience gained prior to joining Bowmans.