- Publications & Insights
Karen Fulton is a partner in our Johannesburg office Employment & Benefits Practice.
She specialises in all aspects of South African employment law including exiting executive employees, corporate restructurings, mergers and acquisitions, bonus disputes, restraints of trade, unfair dismissal and unfair labour practice claims, unfair discrimination, sexual harassment, boardroom disputes, cross-border contracts and disputes.
Karen’s expertise has been recognised by Chambers Global (Employment), Legal 500 and PLC. Karen has served two periods as an acting judge of the Labour Court and has sat on private tribunals in employment disputes.
Karen has BA and LLB degrees from Stellenbosch University and is an accredited Tokiso meditator and arbitrator.
- Karen has been a partner for over 20 years and her regular clients include Bank of America Merrill Lynch, Abbott Laboratories, Monash, Morgan Stanley, Citi, Apple, Tesla, Nestle and PPC.
- Karen has advised the world’s largest paint company and the world’s largest package delivery company on exiting high profile executives in South Africa.
- Karen regularly works with Bowmans’ governance team in advising on corruption, discipline and dismissal and how to militate against such incidents occurring in the future.
- Karen frequently manages cross border disputes. She recently advised an African bank on changes to the management team and board of directors in a matter where the board and the main shareholder were at loggerheads.
- Multi-jurisdictional restructuring of Kansai Plascon’s business across six African jurisdictions.
- Karen advised a subsidiary of a global insurance company on the dismissal of their South African CEO and in doing so, managed a multi-disciplinary team of both corporate, regulatory and employment lawyers.
- Chambers and Partners, 2018 ranked Karen in Band 3 for Employment.
- Karen was recognised by Who’s Who Legal 2018 in the following categories Thought Leaders: Labour & Employment; Employment & Benefits: Pensions & Benefits; and Employment & Benefits: Labour & Employment.
- Chambers and Partners 2016 and 2017 ranked Karen in Band 3 for Employment.
- Legal 500 2017 lists Karen as a recommended lawyer for Employment.
‘Clients value Karen Fulton for her depth of knowledge in the financial services sector, with impressive aptitude in corporate restructurings and internal dismissals. One source described her as “just outstanding” in this field.’ – Chambers and Partners 2017
“Karen Fulton advises on various employment mandates such as the dismissal of executives, corporate restructuring and matters relating to M&A. One source comments: “I have no hesitation recommending her.”” – Chambers and Partners 2016