Katherine McLean is a senior associate in our Johannesburg office’s Corporate Department and a member of the Competition Practice.
She has a BA, an Honours in English Language and Literature, and an LLB degree from the University of Cape Town. While completing her studies, Katherine was on the Dean’s Merit List, as well as a member of the Golden Key Honour Society.
Katherine specialises in all aspects of competition law including mergers (in South Africa as well as in various other African jurisdictions, including COMESA), prohibited practices, complaints and compliance reviews. She has assisted on high-profile matters across Africa, many with multijurisdictional impact.
Katherine has assisted with several merger filings across a range of sectors, including mining, refined fuels, telecommunications, fast-moving consumer goods, and pharmaceuticals. Some highlights of Katherine’s recent work include:
- Acquisition by PepsiCo, Inc. of Pioneer Foods (Pty) Ltd (notified to and approved by authorities in Botswana, COMESA, Kenya, Namibia, Nigeria and South Africa);
- Sale by Alexander Forbes in respect of its short-term insurance business to Momentum Metropolitan;
- Acquisition by Network International of DPO Group (notified to and approved by authorities in Kenya, Nigeria, South Africa, Tanzania and Zimbabwe);
- Acquisition by Aon plc of Willis Towers Watson public limited company (ultimately abandoned);
- Proposed acquisition of control over Puma Energy Holdings Pte Ltd by Trafigura Group Pte Limited (ongoing as at November 2021), which has thus far been notified to and approved by authorities in Botswana, Namibia, South Africa and Tanzania, with approvals pending in COMESA and Mozambique;
- Proposed acquisition of Imperial Logistics by DP World (ongoing as at November 2021);
- Several acquisitions by Petredec Logistics Pte. Ltd. (including of Quest Petroleum, Jubane Petroleum, Vryheid Petroleum and Camel Fuels);
- Acquisition of control by RMB Corvest (through Lereko Eco) of Andru Mining;
- Divestiture by Lanxess (Pty) Ltd of Lanxess Chrome Mining; and
- Acquisition by FLSmidth Proprietary Limited of certain assets of the mining systems business of Sandvik Mining RSA Proprietary Limited, as well as of IMP Automation.
- Katherine has assisted with advising various clients involved in investigations by the competition authorities into anti-competitive conduct.
- Katherine has been involved in commentary on the 2020 amendments to the Competition Act, both on behalf of clients and the firm.