- Publications & Insights
Kirsten Serrurier is a senior associate in the Banking and Finance Department of our Johannesburg office, and a member of the Banking & Financial Services Regulatory practice.
Kirsten specialises in all aspects of financial services (including Fintech services), banking, payment services and investment management regulatory law, and advises local and foreign clients on the content and implications of the Financial Sector Regulation Act, 2017, the Financial Advisory and Intermediary Services Act, 2002, the Collective Investment Schemes Control Act, 2002, the Banks Act, 1990, the Financial Intelligence Centre Act, 2001, the National Payment Systems Act, 1998, the Financial Markets Act, 2012, the National Credit Act, 2005, and the Insurance Act, 2017 (along with the regulations to and host of subordinate legislation promulgated under this legislation).
Kirsten holds an LLB degree (cum laude) from the University of the Witwatersrand.
- Kirsten regularly assists clients with establishment of, and registration as, financial services providers, collective investment schemes, hedge funds and credit providers.
- Kirsten regularly advises leading foreign investment banks and asset management firms on their service offerings to the South African market, including the marketing and operating of local and foreign investment funds (such as collective investment schemes, hedge funds, private equity funds etc.) in South Africa.
- Kirsten has experience in advising on outsourcing arrangements in the financial services space, specifically those concerning banks, insurers and financial services providers. In terms of Fintech, Kirsten advises on the cross-border provision of services and the future of Fintech regarding the regulatory environment for investment and asset management.
- Kirsten regularly drafts Risk Management and Compliance Programmes in terms of the Financial Intelligence Centre Act, 2001, and also gives training to entities on their obligations in terms of this legislation.
- Kirsten also advises clients on employee benefits matters, specifically healthcare and advises medical schemes on governance, compliance and dispute resolution on matters before the Council for Medical Schemes and the High Court.
Publications & Insights
- Publication of Conduct standards 1 and 2 of 2020 – FSCA Communication 25 of 2020 (CIS), South Africa
- COVID-19: Regulatory response to business interruption insurance
- COVID-19: Proposed implementation dates of specific regulatory frameworks, South Africa
- COVID-19: Exemptions for short-term insurers providing premium relief, South Africa
- COVID-19: Expectations of managers of collective investment schemes, South Africa
- Exemption of insurers that offer investment policies to medical schemes, South Africa
- COVID-19: Exemptions for insurers providing premium relief
- COVID-19: Funeral policy premium collection in South Africa
- COVID-19: Impact on compliance with various regulatory deadline requirements in South Africa