- Publications & Insights
Lana Stockton is a senior associate in our Cape Town office and a member of the Shipping and Logistics practice.
Lana has assisted in a number of high profile shipping litigation matters, including the recognition of foreign insolvency orders, structured and forced judicial ship sales and acting for large multinational banks and financiers. Lana has also been involved in litigation as result of the Hanjin Bankruptcy of 2016/2017, casualty facilitation on behalf of International Group P&I Clubs including collisions, main engine breakdowns, oil spills, cargo contamination and crew injury, as well as general claims, arrests and security for foreign proceedings in the High Court.
In addition to contentious work, Lana has experience in providing commercial and legal advice to various local and international clients
Lana holds B.Bus.Sci (Hons) and LLB (cum laude) degrees from the University of Cape Town.
- Acting for ship-owners in the acquisition of a seismic research vessel to be converted to a fishing vessel. Acting for these same owners in terms of a dispute with the ship yard.
- Acting for ship owners and multinational financiers in terms of their rights in light of the acquisition of vessels owned by one of the largest Korean shipping lines which was declared bankrupt in February 2017.
- Acting on behalf of mortgagee banks / syndicated lenders in the enforcement of mortgage claims in foreclosure matters.
- Providing advice to a large German car manufacturer on the regulations applicable to testing proto-type vehicles in South Africa.
- Advising a large international shipping line on the South African law relating to collision claims for the purpose of Appeal proceedings in the United Kingdom.
- The Seaspan Grouse: Seaspan Holdco 1 Ltd vs Mare Traveller Schiffahrts GmbH  ZASCA
- Mortgage foreclosure and judicial sale of the “Pretty Scene” in South Africa
- Mortgage foreclosures and judicial sales in Namibia
- Mortgage foreclosure and judicial sale of the “Sadan K” and “Zeynep K” in South Africa
- Collision between the “Sunrise Jade” and the “Lezandi”
- OW Bunkers
- Loss of cargo overboard from the “Seroja Lima”
Publications & Insights
- Supreme Court of Appeal decides on the status of protective writs in South Africa
- Cyber-pirates threaten shipping security
- The ‘ghost ship’ set to be the future of shipping
- The role of a legal practitioner in a mediation process
- Mediation in the shipping industry – challenges and synergies
- Viking Fishing v Mutual and Federal, Round Two: Supreme Court of Appeal considers the Merchant Shipping Act Warranty