- Publications & Insights
Lerato Thahane is a partner in our Johannesburg office’s Corporate Department and a member of the mergers and acquisitions practice.
Lerato has advised private and public companies on a number of domestic and cross border acquisitions and disposals, empowerment transactions, general corporate matters, commercial matters, group restructurings and unbundling of shareholdings.
She joined Bowmans in 2011. Between 2018 and 2019 she practiced at the Munich office of international law firm, Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer where she advised on both mergers and acquisitions and private equity transactions.
Lerato holds an LLB degree and a Certificate in Advanced Company Law from the University of the Witwatersrand. She also has a Notarial Practice and Conveyancing Certificate from the Centre for Conveyancing Practice.
Some of Lerato’s recent transactional experience includes acting as part of the core deal teams who advised:
- Messer Group GmbH and CVC Capital Partners in respect of their USD 1.7 billion acquisition of certain assets and entities divested by Linde AG and Praxair Inc. in North and South America as part of their USD 46 billion merger;
- AEP Energy Africa Limited, in its listing as a SPAC on the JSE;
- Tata Communications in respect of the ZAR 7 billion disposal of Neotel to the Vodacom Group, and the subsequent sale of Neotel to Liquid Telecommunications and Royal Bafokeng Holdings;
- Affiliated Managers Group, Inc., in its acquisition of a minority interest in Abax Investments Proprietary Limited;
- Puma Energy and Trafigura in its acquisition of various retail focused petroleum businesses, across South Africa, Mozambique, Swaziland and Zimbabwe;
- a London Stock Exchange listed mining company in relation to a restructuring of its African mining companies; and
- a leading glass manufacturing company on its proposed acquisition of a controlling interest in a South African business.