- Publications & Insights
Lischa Gerstle is an Of Counsel lawyer in our Cape Town office of the Banking and Finance Department.
Whilst based in Cape Town, Lischa advises clients throughout South Africa and the rest of Africa. She also advises international clients on cross-border transactions into Africa. She has extensive experience in the capital markets, specialising in structured finance and debt restructurings, as well as project finance transactions and general banking and finance transactions. Lischa has significant experience in secured and syndicated lending, cross-border transactions, structured finance and warehouse finance-related transactions, including securitisation transactions. Lischa has also worked on BEE and preference share funding transactions and has been involved in numerous deals involving these types of funding arrangements.
In addition to her wide-ranging banking and finance experience, Lischa has spent time as a banking consultant and in-house counsel, where she worked on, and negotiated, complex finance transactions. She has been involved in advising banks and financial institutions on the development of derivative related financial instruments and debt restructuring transactions.
Lischa’s unique experience of working both as in-house counsel and as a consultant has equipped her to bring a holistic perspective to the structuring and management of a finance transaction. This benefits clients significantly in understanding and implementing the best possible commercial structure for their transactions.
She holds BBusSc and LLB degrees from the University of Cape Town.
Current legal updates
- VSNL SNOSPV Pte Limited: The complex finance transactions relating to the acquisition by Liquid Telecommunications Holdings Limited and Royal Bafoken Holdings Proprietary Limited of 100% of the issued share capital in, and shareholder loan claims against, Neotel Proprietary Limited.
- VSNL SNOSPV Pte Limited: The complex finance transactions relating to the acquisition by Vodacom Proprietary Limited of 100% of the issued share capital in, and shareholder loan claims against, Neotel Proprietary Limited (deal value: ZAR 7 000 000 000).
- Peermont Global (Pty) Ltd: The complex finance transactions relating to the acquisition by Sun International Limited of 100% of the issued share capital in the Peermont hotel and casino group (deal value: ZAR 9 400 000 000).
- Mobeus Equity Partners: Bowmans acted as South African legal adviser to Mobeus Equity Partners in respect of a combined debt and equity package supporting the management buyout of UK-based, Creative Graphics International Limited.
- Advising an international investment bank on the funding of an asset-backed securitisation structure implemented in South Africa.
- Advising an international investment bank and certain funds in respect of the South African aspects for a cross-border funding transaction in the aggregate amount of GBP 60.5 million, including the parallel debt and security constructs of the transaction.
- Advising an international leader in entertainment, communications and networking technology in respect of the restructuring of distressed funding advanced to a South African borrower.
- Advising a listed borrower in respect of the restructure and refinance of its distressed R1.5 billion debt package.