- Publications & Insights
Lital Avivi is a Partner in our Johannesburg office Competition Department.
Her areas of expertise include general competition law litigation, prohibited practices, leniency and exemption applications, merger notifications and the notifiability of transactions, compliance reviews and client training. Lital has been involved in prominent competition matters before the competition authorities in South Africa and advised on competition law in various other African countries.
She has BA and LLB degrees and a Certificate in Competition Law from the University of the Witwatersrand.
Lital has advised as competition counsel in respect of the following matters:
- Rockwood Private Equity in relation to the disposal by it and other minority shareholders of 100% of the shares and claims held by them in Tsebo Holdings Proprietary Limited to Wendel SE for an enterprise value of ZAR 5.25 billion (EUR 331 million). This transaction was shortlisted as Private Equity Deal of the Year 2016.
- General Electric in relation to the large merger between General Electric and the Thermal Power, Renewable Power and Grid Business of Alstom.
- Shanduka Group in relation to the large merger between Shanduka Group and Pembani Group (deal size ZAR 15 billion).
- Namibian Competition Commission in respect of complaint proceedings against the Namibian Association of Medical Aid Funds (NAMAF) and its member medical aid funds before the High Court and the Supreme Court of Namibia.
- Namibian Competition Commission in respect of the settlement reached between the Commission and four companies under investigation by the Commission in relation to alleged price fixing, namely Sanlam Namibia Limited, Sanlam Life Namibia Limited, the Professional Providence Society Company Insurance Limited (South Africa) and the Professional Providence Society Insurance Company Namibia Limited. Bowmans advised the Commission in respect of the discussions, negotiations and settlement that were concluded.
- Co-author of the 2019 Chambers Cartels Legal Practice Guide on cartel enforcement in South Africa.
- Advised on the Dell/EMC matter which has been nominated for the Global Competition Review (GCR) Awards 2017 Matter of the year: Merger control, cartel, unilateral conduct, litigation or any other competition matter worldwide. Creative, strategic and innovative work by teams of in-house and external lawyers and economists.