- Publications & Insights
Mandisi Rusa is a partner in our Johannesburg office Dispute Resolution Department.
He specialises in commercial litigation. His experience extends to contracts, constitutional and administrative law and law of delict. Mandisi acts for a wide range of clients in major disputes. His expertise extends to mediation and arbitration. He also reviews contracts for multinational companies having an interest in South Africa at the request of foreign instructing attorneys.
Mandisi’s expertise is recognised by the Legal 500 (Litigation).
He has a B.Juris from the University of Fort Hare, an LLB from Rhodes University and Post Graduate Diploma in Corporate Law from Centre for Business Law, UNISA.
- Represented Transnet Limited in a suit instituted against it by Umthunzi Telecoms Consortium in which Umthunzi claimed payment of the sum of ZAR2.2 billion as damages. The matter, which received wide local media coverage, was settled between the parties.
- Acted for the Coega Development Corporation in a dispute pertaining to an Advance Payment Guarantee issued in its favor by a large insurance company. The guarantee amount was in excess of ZAR16 million.
- Represented the South African Post Office in private arbitration against Vision Design House (Pty) Ltd wherein the amounts involved in both the claim and the counterclaim exceeded ZAR50 million.
- Represented Morpho RSA (Pty) Ltd in a contractual dispute it had with Muvhoni Technology Group. The amount claimed by Morpho was ZAR27 million and Muvoni filed a counterclaim of ZAR32 million which it later withdrew. An award was granted in favor of Morpho for the amount it had claimed.
- Successfully acted for Nkomati Joint Venture against Niemcor Africa (Pty) Ltd in which Nkomati claimed payment of the sum of ZAR31 million. Upon the granting of the judgment in favor of Nkomati, Mandisi was involved in the successful liquidation of Niemcor Africa.
- Represented the State Information Technology Agency (Pty) Ltd (“SITA”) in a claim instituted against it by HR Computek (Pty Ltd in which Computek claimed the amount of ZAR50 million as damages arising from an alleged breach of contract by SITA. The claim was legally attached by SITA in terms of the Rules of the High Court Rules in satisfaction of the taxed legal costs due to SITA by Computek for another claim.
- Reviewed contracts for multinational companies having interest in South Africa at the request of foreign instructing attorneys.
• Mandisi was listed in the 2012 Legal 500 as one of the attorneys recommended to handle litigation matters in South Africa. Legal 500 is a worldwide publication on legal services providers.