Marga is an associate in our Dispute Resolution Department of our Johannesburg office and a member of the Public Law and Regulatory practice.
Prior to joining Bowmans, Marga was a senior associate at a boutique law firm. Marga specialises in mining and environmental law.
Marga has LLB and LLM (Environmental Law and Governance) from the North-West University, Potchefstroom. She also has short course certificates in Environmental Management and Regulation, obtained from the University of Pretoria, and Transboundary Protection of Biodiversity, obtained from the North-West University. She was admitted as an attorney in 2015 and a notary in 2017.
- Assisted with the environmental due diligence investigation pertaining to Seriti Resources Holdings (Pty) Ltd’s successful bid to acquire the South African coal business of South 32 Limited
- Assist in advising mining companies opposing review applications brought to set aside its mining rights and/or environmental approvals.
- Assist in instituting review applications to set aside environmental approvals and challenge the constitutionality of certain provisions in the National Environmental Management Act, 1998.
- Advising on the application of the National Environmental Management: Waste Act, 2009 and the Mineral and Petroleum Resources Development Act, 2002 to historic tailings disposal facilities as well as residue stockpiles and residue deposits.
- Drafting of appeals in terms the Mineral and Petroleum Resources Development Act, 2002 and the Mine Health and Safety Act, 1996 and drafting of subsequent court applications to the Labour Court to uplift suspensions of Mining Operations.
- Drafting of appeals in terms of the National Environmental Management Act, 1998 and the National Water Act, 1998.
- Conduct high-level environmental and mining legal compliance audits.
- Assist in advising companies in urgent interdict applications to interdict illegal mining activities.