Marike Faught is a senior forensic investigator in the Dispute Resolution Department and a member of our Corporate Investigations Practice.
She joined Bowmans as a forensic investigator in 2019 after being employed as a consultant at the Firm since 2018.
She has a BCom Forensic Accountancy degree as well as a BCom (Hons) in Forensic Accountancy from the North-West University and is Reveal Review and Reveal AI Certified. Marike is a Certified Fraud Examiner (CFE) as recognised by the Association of Certified Fraud Examiners (ACFE).
Marike has more than 4 years professional forensic investigation experience.
Marike has garnered experience working on investigations in both the private and public sector. She assisted on various investigations relating to allegations of fraud, procurement irregularities, possible contraventions of the Exchange Control Regulations, corruption, conflicts of interest between executives and service providers and asset misappropriation.
Some of the investigations Marike has been involved in include:
- Investigation into various allegations of fraud and Exchange Control violations by a large group of international companies, where multiple jurisdictions are involved.
- Investigation into allegations of fraud, corruption, procurement irregularities and conflict(s) of interest between employees and suppliers at a private steel company.
- Forensic investigation into various allegations of fraud and corruption, relating to the employees and suppliers at a large government institution.
- Investigation relating to allegations of fraud, procurement irregularities, irregular/fraudulent invoicing, favouritism and conflict(s) of interest between executives and service providers of a large mobile operator.
- Conducted asset verifications on behalf of one of the largest tertiary institutions.
Marike’s forensic experience includes:
- E-Discovery, including: Conducting email- and evidence investigations using the E-discovery platform Reveal, Summation and dtSearch.
- Drafting factual finding reports of evidence found.
- Conducting interviews with relevant parties regarding various allegations made with the purpose of obtaining more information with regards to these allegations.
- Testifying in a disciplinary hearing.
- Compiling profiling reports for relevant parties under investigation whilst obtaining and including the following information:
- Personal information;
- Background searches;
- Credit Bureau information;
- Evidence found through investigation; and
- Risks identified.
- Performing Due Diligence and conducting personal and business background searches on XDS (Xpert Decision Systems) and Dow Jones.
- Conducting consultations and site visits to find any instances of fraud, illegal activities or inappropriate allocation of resources.
- Data analytics, including:
- Analyse payment information of various contracts;
- Bank statement analysis; and
- Analyse payment certificates.
- Completed SAP Accounting Programme Training Short Course.
- Completed the IBM I2 Analyst Notebook version 9 course.
- Data capturing.
- Certified Fraud Examiner – Association of Certified Fraud Examiners.