Martin Hopkins is in our Johannesburg office and is Head of Reward Advisory Services working closely with our Employment & Benefits and Tax Practice.
Martin is an applied mathematician and computer scientist by training, and has advised top South African and international companies and their board committees on the full range of compensation matters. These include executive remuneration, strategy development and evaluation, investment decisions, value driver models, balanced scorecards, performance management and IT to deliver value.
He worked at a multinational professional services network headquartered in London, United Kingdom, where he was responsible for the South African Rewards Consulting Practice, focusing on compensation and benefits.
Martin has an MSc in applied mathematics from Carnegie Mellon University in the USA. He also has B.Sc. and a B.Sc. Honours degree in applied mathematics and computer science from the University of the Witwatersrand, where he won numerous awards, including the Chancellor’s Medal for Most Distinguished Graduate.
He is the current President of the South African Reward Association (SARA)(2018-present), a member of the Executive Committee of SARA (2008-present) and a Master Reward Specialist.
- Lead advisor to the Remuneration Committee, benchmarking and market positioning, job evaluations, review of reward policy, reward governance, review and design of short term and long term incentives, structuring staff BEE plans, remuneration reporting (in the integrated report).*
- Setting and implementing policy for reward, including salary and benefits, short term incentives, long term incentives, retention and recognition. Responsible for interacting with the Group Remuneration Committee and assisting with institutional investor communication regarding investor reward. Principal officer of a South African mobile communications company Pension and Provident funds, and compliance officer for the company’s broad-based employee ownership plan.*
- Experience in Human Resources in the International Business area included expatriate reward and programme management, implementation of groupwide HR initiates in the international business operating companies and support for the HR Director and CEO’s with respect to HR matters.*
- Provided input to the King III Report on Corporate Governance in South Africa, in the area of Executive Remuneration, and the Reward Practice notes.*
- Editor of the section on Variable Pay for the South African Generally Accepted Reward Practices (GARP).*
- Judge of the South African Reward Association (SARA) Reward Strategist of the Year, 2006 – 2008.*
- advisory services in the areas of Executive Remuneration, Incentive Remuneration and Share Scheme design and Governance to many large listed clients and State Owned Enterprises. Founded Value Analytics as the successor Company to INFLO.*
- Secured Private Equity Investment from EPI-USE Systems for the development of the ValueXplorer® Software Product.*
- Contributed to the drafting of King IV Principle 14, which covers Executive Remuneration, and to the joint IoD/SARA Guidance Notes on King IV, Principle 14, especially the guidance on the Single Total Figure of Remuneration requirements.*
* experience gained prior to joining Bowmans