Mbekeka Vanessa Irene is an Associate in our Kampala office and is an Advocate of the High Court and all courts subordinate thereto. She member of the East African Law Society and Uganda law society. She has recently completed the Certified Tax Advisory course with the Institute of Certified Public Accountants Uganda. She is a specialized tax practitioner with about 4 years’ experience having worked at Grant Thornton and Ernest and Young.
Vanessa has advised multi-sectoral clients on the legal and tax implications of their various business transactions and undertakings.
She has experience drafting tax opinions, handling tax objections, tax audits and reconciliations, tax health checks, private ruling applications, representation at the Tax Appeals Tribunal, and applications for tax exemptions among other tax-related matters.
- Successful lobbying with the Ministry of Finance for amendment of the tax laws to define who amounts to a citizen for tax purposes which created clarity on the application of the law.
- Successful lobbying to the Ministry of Finance for inclusion of manufacturers of footwear as strategic investments that qualify for tax exemption in the tax laws.
- Tax Advisory of Mukwano Enterprises at the Tax Appeals Tribunal which involved tax treatment of finance and operating leases.
- Advisory to the Sugar Corporation Uganda, Cross Boundary, Nippon Koei, Citi Bank, ACCA, eLEQtra, M Limited among others.
- Preparation of transfer pricing documentation for NSSF, Kalangala Infrastructure Limited, Nile Breweries Limited, Rwenzori Bottling Company Limited
- Tax Appeals Tribunal representation of Ericsson AB, Nokia Solutions and Networks Oy, Rwenzori Bottling Company Limited, Century Bottling Company Limited among others.
- Retained by Sanlam General Insurance Uganda Limited and The American Chamber of Commerce of Uganda for company secretarial work.