- Publications & Insights
Mercy is a Senior Associate in our Kampala corporate department. Mercy was admitted as an Advocate of the High Court of Uganda in 2014.
Her practice areas cover abroad range of corporate commercial mandates including mergers and acquisitions, finance and banking, private equity, regulatory, commercial disputes resolution and Governance Compliance and Investigations.
- Advised Allianz Africa Holding GmbH (Allianz Africa) its acquisition of 66% stake the Jubilee Insurance Company of Uganda.
- Advised on the merger of CBA Bank Uganda Limited and NC Bank Uganda Limited that led to the formation of NCBA Bank in Uganda and Kenya.
- Acted for Kansai Plascon Africa Ltd (KPAL), a top global paint manufacturer and a subsidiary of Kansai Paint Co., Ltd (Kansai Paint)) in relation to its acquisition of 100% of Sadolin Paints’ operations in Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania, Zanzibar and Burundi.
- Advised Triodos Investment Management B.V, Triodos Sicav II- Triodos Microfinance Fund, Triodos Custody B.V, Stictching Hivos-Triodos Fonds in respect to the sale and purchase of 18.2% stake in the share capital of Centenary Rural Development Bank, a financial institution licensed by the Central Bank of Uganda.
- Advised Stanbic Bank Uganda Limited and the Standard Bank of South Africa in respect to loan facilities of USD 15 million and UGX 20.95 billion/- to Chestnut Uganda Limited for the design and development and build project for the biggest commercial shopping mall in Uganda.
- Advised Wananchi Group Holdings Limited, a leading East African telecommunications company in respect to financing by OPIC in a facility amount of USD 82 million.
- Advised Citi Bank N.A in its capacity as Lender, in connection with a non-reducing, revolving credit facility in the principal amount of United States Dollars Thirteen million (USD 13 million) Facility to Airtel Uganda Limited in respect to its working capital, license fees, spectrum fees and for other general corporate financial needs.
- Acted as Counsel for 8 Miles Limited a Private Equity Fund in respect to the acquisition of an 80% stake, the majority shareholding in Orient Bank Limited.
- Advised Bharti Airtel in its acquisition of the operations of Warid Telecom in Uganda.
- Acted as Uganda Counsel for KMRI LLC in respect to the acquisition of shareholding of Rwenzori Hydro Private Limited a company related to a small hydro project and the development of the said projects.
- Advised Vine Pharmaceuticals Limited a leading local pharmaceutical retailer in its acquisition of the assets of another pharmaceutical retailer Ecopharm Uganda Limited
- Advised Deutsche Welthungerhilfe e.V, Viva con Agua St. Pauli e.V. and Viva con Agua Beteiligungs GmbH & Co KG in their acquisition of 30% stake in the share capital of Spouts of Water Limited.
Other notable mandates
- Successfully represented the former legal counsel for UNRA on charges of corruption for which he was acquitted.
- Successfully represented the former head of mobile money and public access department of MTN Uganda Limited charged with several offences under the Anti-Corruption Act and the Computer Misuse Act of Uganda. He was charged with electronic fraud, embezzlement and corruption.
- Successfully represented Ezeemoney Limited a mobile payment company in Uganda in the first ever anti-competition case at the Commercial Division of the High Court in Uganda. The complaint to the regulator and suit at the Commercial court were against MTN Uganda, the largest mobile telecom provider in Uganda. The cases were against MTN’s anti-competitive tendencies for which court ordered that they pay over a billion shillings to our client.
- Represented the directors of Threeways Shipping Services Uganda Limited, the largest and oldest logistics company in Uganda for charges under the Anti-Corruption Act including fraud and embezzlement.
- Successfully advised and represented Threeways Shipping Services Uganda Limited, the logistics company against MTN Uganda at the Commercial court. The suit was dismissed for being illegal and premised on an illegality owing to duress and undue influence against our client.
- Advised and represented SMS Empire Uganda Limited a company previously involved in Value Added Services in the telecom industry against MTN Uganda. The suit is premised on under-declaration of revenues by MTN to the detriment of our client.
- Advised the Director of Public Prosecutions (the office constitutionally mandated to prosecute all criminal cases in Uganda) on a case involving officials working for the Ministry of Public Service in Uganda for mis-budgeting and appropriating of public funds. These officials were later charged and await judgment.
- Legal 500 has recognised Mercy as a Rising Star for Leading Firms in Uganda for three consecutive years, in 2020 ,2021 and 2022.
- Mercy was awarded The Young Lawyer- Rising Star Award by the Uganda Law Society in 2017 for being the most outstanding young female lawyer in Uganda.
- Mercy was recognized in Uganda’s 40 under 40 most influential women in Uganda in 2017.