- Publications & Insights
Mogola Makola is a partner in the corporate department as a member of the tax practice, where she specialises in domestic and international tax, with a specific interest in the financial services and private equity sectors.
Mogola’s experience covers both South African and International tax. She has advised on major M&A transactions and has experience in advising on the tax structuring of offshore investments, derivative trades, investments in a private equity funds, securities lending transactions, private equity fund formations and tax structuring. In addition to advising clients, Mogola also assists clients in tax disputes.
She has an LLM (Tax) from University of the Witwatersrand and a BA and LLB from Rhodes University. Mogola has served on the Firm’s Remuneration Committee and a former member of the Partnership Board. She has also worked at the South African Revenue Service where she held the position of Chief Officer: Enforcement. In that role, she was responsible for the management of the Investigative Audit, Criminal Investigations, Anti-Corruption, Compliance Audit, Debt Management and Illicit Economy Units.
A selection of Mogola experience includes advising:
- Shanduka Group Proprietary Limited.
- VSNL SNOSPV Pte Limited.
- Morrison & Foerster LLP (US counsel to underwriters Raymond James & Associates, Inc. and William Blair & Company, LLC).
- Various domestic and foreign financial clients on their business activities in South Africa.
Publications & Insights
- COVID-19: Additional tax relief, South Africa
- COVID-19: Disaster management tax relief
- Providing tax certainty in an uncertain oil and gas world
- Certainty in the taxing of Collective Investment Schemes
- Global Legal Insights – Corporate Tax
- Getting the Deal Through – Private Equity 2013
- Getting The Deal Through – Private Equity 2012
- What is the structure of the retail funds market? What have been the main trends over the last year?
- Private Equity: Significant Regulatory Developments