Mutugi is an Associate in our Nairobi office and a member of the Corporate Commercial department.
Mutugi specialises in competition law advisory and has been involved in advising on a wide range of clients on merger filings, restrictive trade practices and competition compliance. He also has significant experience in advising on capital markets and securities law, mergers and acquisitions and regulatory compliance.
He is an advocate of the High Court of Kenya and is a registered Company Secretary.
Mutugi has an LLM in Mercantile Law (Distinction) from the University of Pretoria, an LLB from Kenyatta University and a post-graduate diploma from the Kenya School of Law. He is a member of the Law Society of Kenya (LSK) and the Institute of Certified Secretaries (ICS).
- Advising a telecommunications operator regarding the legal and commercial implications of its proposed establishment of operations in Ethiopia.
- Advising a leading bread manufacturer and a maize miller in successfully responding to investigations by the Competition Authority of Kenya regarding product packaging and compliance with applicable consumer protection standards.
- Advising a leading global oil and logistics conglomerate in the establishment of a joint venture in Kenya and the arising competition regulation concerns.
- Advising a global internet services company on arising competition regulation concerns in Kenya with respect to the construction and operationalisation of a subsea internet cable.
*Experience gained prior to joining Bowmans
- Advising a telecommunications operator regarding various competition-related measures arising from regulatory investigations into the telecommunications sector by the Communications Authority of Kenya.
- Serving as project manager for the transaction lead and advising the Kenya Airports Authority on competition and ICT concerns arising from the first-ever proposed airport concession in Kenya. The project was being implemented as a privately initiated investment proposal – PIIP (a form of PPP under the Public Private Partnerships Act 2013)
- Advising a Kenyan FMCG company on successfully initiating and prosecuting a restrictive trade practice claim against a competitor.
- Advising a leading cement manufacturer on the sale and lease of certain assets valued at KES 90 million to a strategic investor and engagement with the Competition Authority of Kenya.
- Advising a leading entertainment services provider on its listing on the Nairobi Securities Exchange and regulatory compliance prior to listing.
- Advising a development finance institution and an East African power generator on the structuring of the first issuance of asset-backed securities in Kenya worth over USD 600 million based on receivables from the latter’s hydroelectric and geothermal energy plants.
- Advised the ICT Authority on the drafting of legal agreements for its commercialisation of the largest fibre-optic cable network in Kenya, the National Optical Fibre Infrastructure (NOFBI) network.
- Leading the drafting of the Street Vendors (Protection of Livelihood) Bill, 2019 for consideration before the Kenyan Senate. The Bill seeks to provide a national framework for the recognition, licensing and regulation of street vendors and other itinerant traders.
- Advising the shareholders of a Kenyan golf resort on their USD 15 million buyout by strategic