- Publications & Insights
Nikhil Hira is a director in our Nairobi office and a member of the Tax Practice.
Nikhil holds a formidable skills set, particularly in tax advisory work and tax dispute resolution, honed in East Africa, India, the United Arab Emirates and the United Kingdom.
He assists clients with tax advice and tax dispute resolution services, working extensively with our corporate, M&A, projects and private equity practices in providing specialist tax services such as transfer pricing advice, assisting with tax amnesty applications, conducting tax due diligence exercises and succession planning for family businesses.
Nikhil is a well-known presenter and commentator on tax and economic issues in East Africa. He is a former council member of the Institute of Certified Public Accountants in Kenya and he also sat on the Tax & Public Finance and the Professional Standards Committees.
He is a fellow of the Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales and the Institute of Certified Public Accountants in Kenya. He is also registered with the Institute of Certified Public Accountants in Uganda and the National Board of Accountants and Auditors in Tanzania. Nikhil has a BSc with joint Honours in Accountancy and Process Engineering from the University of Salford, Manchester, England.
* Experience gained prior to joining Bowmans
- A selection of Nikhil’s experience includes: Acting as lead Tax Partner in a routine compliance, risk and opportunities review, customs supply chain review and providing general tax planning advice to a major brewing concern in East Africa.
- Acting as lead Tax Partner in a routine compliance, risk and opportunities review, customs supply chain review and providing general tax planning advice to an East African Power Utility.
- Providing assistance to international oil and gas companies while setting up in new jurisdictions and advising on the legislation applicable to these companies and their sub-contractors, advising on the customs and VAT exemption process and reviewing and advising on PSCs and amendments thereto.
- Advising a mining client in relation to the set up of a new concession including commenting and negotiating on behalf of the company with the National Treasury in terms of the Benefit Sharing Agreement.
- Conducting a routine compliance, risk and opportunities review, customs supply chain review lobbying for favourable treatment on carbon credits and providing general tax planning advice to a major sugar company.
- Acting as lead tax partner to a global technology company in conducting an audit from the tax authorities and advisory on new projects planned.
- Advising a hotel and hospitality group on exemptions available and on their establishment in Kenya.
- Project managing an expatriate taxation for a global telco company with a significant African footprint.
- Advising on the merger of three bottling companies in Kenya.
- Developing policies for various multi-national companies on transfer pricing.
- Advising various global players on bids in the public sector for infrastructure projects including advice on structuring onshore and offshore elements of the bid.
Publications & Insights
- COVID-19: The Kenya Government’s Economic Stimulus
- COVID-19: Impact on Businesses and Investments in Kenya
- KRA starts migrating legacy ledger balances and validating input VAT credits on iTax
- What new digital taxes contemplated in the Finance Act mean for Digital Trade and Services in Kenya
- The Finance Act 2019 Assented into Law: A Summary
- The Finance Bill 2019
- Highlights of the Kenya Budget Statement 2019/2020
- Court judgment clarifies imposition of excise duties among EAC member states
- Kenya-Mauritius double Tax Agreement invalidated
- Temporary relief for the Taxman
- The Demise of Compensating Tax
- The taxman suffers another blow
- Value Added Tax Automated System (VAA)
- Value Added Tax Auto Assessment System
- The Finance Act 2018