Njau Mukuha is a partner in our Nairobi office.
His main practice areas include project finance, infrastructure projects, mining, energy and resources. His expertise extends to joint ventures and business formation, employment law, and intellectual property law.
His expertise has been recognised by Chambers Global (Corporate & Commercial law) and by IFLR1000 (Energy & Infrastructure; Energy & Project Finance).
Njau graduated from Warwick University and completed the English Solicitors Legal Practice Course. He also has a Masters in Law from the University of Warwick in International Economic Law. He was admitted to practice as an Advocate of the High Court of Kenya. Njau is also a registered patent agent by the Kenya Industrial Property Institute.
Infrastructure, GoK, Projects
- Advising Intex Construction Limited on the proposed PPP structure for Lot 33 for a concession to finance, build, operate and maintain a 93 KM road from Ngong – Kiserian to Isinya and Kajiado – Imaroro Road under the Kenya Rural Roads Authority “Kenya’s Roads 10,000 Annuities programme”. Led negotiations on the Project Agreement.
- Advising Trademark East Africa, Kenya Ports Authority and the Kenya Railways Corporation on a PPP feasibility study to optimise the movement of freight from the port of Mombasa to the Inland Container Depot in Nairobi on the Standard Gauge Railway.
- Advising IFC and the Ministry of Health the on a feasibility study for the construction of 4 regional cancer centres across Kenya on a PPP basis.
- Advising Port of Singapore Authority on a bid for the operation of the second terminal at Mombasa Port.
- Advising Infrastructure Leasing and Financial Services Limited on the RFP issued by the Kenya Rural Roads Authority and the Kenya National Highway Authority for the Government of Kenya’s Roads 10,000 Annuities programme.
- Advising Aeolus Kenya Ltd (BVI) on negotiations for a framework agreement with the Kenyan Government for a 6 phase project in the LAPSSET Corridor which will include a port, LNG plant, desalination plant, pipeline and airport.
- Advising Enel Green s.p.a on the development of a solar powered micro grid in Nyamira and Kisii Countries in Kenya
- Advising IDEA Power Limited on the development of a 40 MW Solar PV plant in Malindi Kenya.
- Advised on investment and development of a 10 MW Hydro project in Tukuyu, Tanzania.
- Advising Aperture Green Power Company Limited and Power China Ltd on the development of a 50 MW wind power plant in Limuru Kenya together with the Lootah Group and Power China Ltd.
- Advising Kinangop Wind Park Limited (BVI) on a successful bid to construct and operate a 60.8 MW wind park in Kinangop, Nyandarua County including negotiations with the Energy Regulatory Commission on the Generation Licence and associated project and finance agreements.
- Advising on its restructuring and tax matters in relation to its Power Production Agreement with Kenya Power and Lighting Company Limited and the building of a wind farm in Kinangop.
- Advising HydroChina Corporation, the EPC Contractor, in a 50 MW wind project in Limuru Kenya.
- Chambers and Partners, 2018 ranked Njau in Band 3 for Projects and Energy.
- IFLR1000’s 2018 Financial and Corporate Guide rated Njau as a Highly Regarded Lawyer for Energy and infrastructure, Project finance.
- Chambers and Partners 2017 notes Njau as ‘Up and Coming’ for Corporate and Commercial.
- Legal 500 2017 lists Njau as a recommended lawyer for Projects and Energy.
- Njau has been recognised by Chambers Global, 2016, as a rising star by IFLR 1000, 2016 as a leading lawyer and further recommended by Legal 500, 2016.
Njau Mukuha acts on large-scale infrastructure projects and supports international companies looking to establish themselves in Kenya. – Chambers and Partners 2017
Njau Mukuha is described as “extremely smart and responsive” and specialises in energy and infrastructure projects. He advised IDEA Power on its investment in EA Power in relation to a hydroelectric project in Tanzania. – Chambers and Partners 2016