- Publications & Insights
Paola is a senior associate in our Mergers and Acquisitions Department of our Johannesburg office and a member of the Private Equity Practice.
Paola practices funds and investments law, specifically private equity fund structuring and merger and acquisition transactions for private equity funds. She advises on corporate structuring, re-structuring, potential acquisitons and disposals.
Paola has a BCom and LLB degree (with distinction) and LLM degree from the University of the Witwatersrand and SAVCA-GIBS Advanced Programme for Private Equity in 2017.
Paola worked with a number of investors in respect of the structuring and establishment of a parallel structure in Mauritius and advi
*experience gained prior to joining Bowmans
- Paola was involved in advising Absa Bank Limited (Absa) in relation to the formation of the African Rainbow Energy Fund Partnership (the Partnership), a private-equity renewable-energy-investment-fund in partnership with African Rainbow Energy and Power Proprietary Limited (AREP). As part of the fund formation: (i) Absa will commit to the Partnership, an amount equal to R500 million ; (ii) AREP will commit to the Partnership a number of project company SPV’s and (iii) the Partnership will acquire a number of Absa’s renewable projects financed under its Renewable Energy Independent Power Producer Programme.
- Paola assisted in Phatisa Food Fund 2 and a group of Development Finance Institution co-investors in their acquisition of integrated agricultural solutions provider, Farming and Engineering Services Limited, including the drafting and negotiation of a share repurchase agreement, shareholders agreements, company constitutional documents.
- Paola worked with a number of investors in respect of the structuring and establishment of a parallel structure in Mauritius and advisor in South Africa; drafting of sub-advisory agreements; constitution of Category 1 Global Business (GBC1) License closed-ended fund; application for GBC1 license; drafting of fund prospectus; drafting of partnership agreement; fund management agreements and general partnership documentation.
- She advised in the establishment of a cross-border real estate fund; leading a legal due diligence investigation in respect of the acquisition of various target entities in Southern Africa and Kenya; drafting of sale of shares, subscription, convertible loan and related agreements in respect of such acquisitions; drafting of opinion with respect to Regulation 28 of the Pension Funds Act as it applies to property related funds.
- She also assisted the Road Freight Pension and Provident Fund in respect of structuring of private equity fund in the property sector, drafting of legal and enforceability opinion; drafting of opinion on collective investment schemes, drafting partnership agreement; fund management agreement; application for Category II license with the Financial Services Board.
- Paola also worked with the South African food producers and distributors company in respect of its disposal of a mojority stake in the company to an American multinational food, snack, and beverage corporation in a ZAR 25 billion transaction and the delisiting of the company from the Johannesburg Stock Exchange.
- She assisted a South Africa-based property investment company in the repurchase of shares by way of a scheme of arrangement, general offer to shareholders and the delisting of the company from the Johannesburg Stock Exchange, drafting of a firm intention announcement, implementation agreement and circular to shareholders.
- She also assisted a boutique investment banking and private equity firm in its establishment of an investment through a joint venture arrangement; establishment of a hospital project company; operating joint venture company; operating special purpose vehicle; drafting of licensing and profit sharing agreement; drafting long-term lease agreements; drafting of service level agreements; drafting of development agreement; drafting of management agreements.