Patrick Hirsch is a partner in our Johannesburg office Project Finance Practice.
He specialises in project and other financing transactions (including public private partnerships) and also has a wide range of experience in mergers and acquisitions, due diligences and general corporate, commercial and contract work.
In the project finance field, Patrick acts for both borrowers and lenders in South Africa and other African countries in the airport, energy, housing, mining, office accommodation and transportation industries. In other financing transactions he has advised borrowers and lenders on acquisitions (including black empowerment deals) and general corporate facilities in the banking, catering, mining, retail and telecommunications sectors.
He has BA and LLB degrees from the University of KwaZulu-Natal.
- In the In the field of project finance, Patrick was the lead lawyer in the team that advised the Standard Bank of South Africa and other lenders in three solar PV projects that reached financial close and the lead lawyer in the team that advised ABSA Bank and DBSA in three wind power projects that reached financial close, all under the South African Government Department of Energy’s Renewable Energy IPP Procurement Programme. He also acted for the borrower and sponsors in relation to the project financing of Gigawatt’s 100MW Gas Fired Ressano Garcia Power Station project in Mozambique.
- In the field of public private partnerships, he was a member of the team which advised Rand Merchant Bank and Standard Bank in their financing of the Gautrain Rapid-Rail Link project, and the team which advised the private party in relation to the South African Department of Trade and Industry’s office accommodation PPP. He also led the team that acted for the lenders (led by Standard Bank) in closing the South African Department of Education’s office accommodation PPP. Most recently, Patrick was one of the partners who acted for the private party consortium in closing the City of Tshwane’s Munitoria office accommodation PPP.
- Patrick advised IFC, PIC, IDC, DEG, Proparco, Futuregrowth Asset Management and Eskom Pension and Provident Fund in relation to their mezzanine funding of FirstRand Empowerment Trust’s acquisition of a stake in FirstRand Bank Limited.
- He has also advised Murray & Roberts in relation to the consolidation of a number of separate corporate banking facilities so nthat they are governed by single omnibus common terms agreement.
- He has advised African Rainbow Minerals in relation to numerous financing matters, including its corporate facilities and the funding of a copper mining project in Zambia.
- Chambers and Partners, 2018 ranked Patrick in Band 3 for Projects & Energy.
- IFLR1000’s 2018 Financial and Corporate Guide rated Patrick as a Highly Regarded Lawyer for Energy and Infrastructure, Project Development, Project Finance and M&A.
- Recognised by Best Lawyers 2017 for Banking and Finance Law.
- In Chambers and Partners Global Commentary, Patrick is ranked in Band 3 for Projects and Energy in South Africa, is described as “highly recommended” for his experience in the renewables sector, and is particularly singled out for his ability with PPP deal”
- Patrick is also ranked as a leading lawyer by IFLR 1000 2016.
Patrick Hirsch specialises in project finance, M&A and corporate matters. He often acts for clients in the construction, energy and financial services industries. – Chambers and Partners 2017
Patrick Hirsch’s clients originate from a broad range of backgrounds, including construction, mining and financial services. He advised Royal Bafokeng Resources on the ZAR 2.2 billion financing of a housing project. – Chambers and Partners 2016