Peter Whelan is a senior consultant in our Cape Town office Dispute Resolution Department.
He specialises in commercial litigation focusing on insolvency related matters, workouts and corporate restructuring. He advises financial institutions and also represents insolvency practitioners and creditors in cross-border insolvency matters involving diverse jurisdictions.
He also practices in the field of sports law.
He has served as a director and chairman of Lex Mundi, is a member of several committees, institutions and public bodies, holds a number of directorships and is legal adviser to various charitable foundations and trusts.
He has BA and LLB degrees from the University of Cape Town.
- Chambers and Partners consistently ranked Peter in Band 3 for Restructuring and Insolvency for the past three consecutive years (2019 to 2021).
- Best Lawyers recognised Peter in 2021 for Insolvency and Reorganization law as well as Litigation. They also recognised Peter in their Best Lawyers Global Business Edition in 2020, as amongst the 40,000 Best Lawyers recognised for their top legal talent from 28 countries worldwide.
- Peter was announced the Sector Winner for Litigation by Finance Monthly Global Awards in 2016 in South Africa.
- Ranked by Best Lawyers‘ 2015 Cape Town Litigation “Lawyer of the Year, as well as a “Lawyer of the Year” in the 2016 Edition of The Best Lawyers in South Africa.
- His expertise has been recognised by Who’s Who (Sports Law; Commercial Litigation) and he was the Corporate Livewire South African insolvency lawyer of the year in 2014.
‘Senior consultant Peter Whelan is a veteran practitioner based in the firm’s Cape Town office. He is an accomplished commercial litigator with a practice focused on insolvency disputes.’ – Chambers and Partners, 2021
‘Peter Whelan is recognised as a “very experienced commercial litigator,” with a practice focus on disputes stemming from insolvency and restructuring. Interviewees characterise his approach as “clear, direct and assertive as is required for litigation and insolvency-related matters.” He is based in Cape Town.’– Chambers and Partners, 2020
‘Cape Town-based Peter Whelan is an experienced commercial litigator with a strong track record for his work in the restructuring and insolvency space. Interviewees describe him as an “excellent lawyer with deep expertise in insolvency.”‘– Chambers and Partners, 2019