- Publications & Insights
Quinter Okuta is an associate in our Nairobi office and a member of the Dispute Resolution department.
Quinter specialises in dispute resolution and Employment and Labor relations litigation.
She is an advocate of the High Court of Kenya and a member of the Law Society of Kenya.
Quinter has a LLB from the Catholic University of Eastern Africa in Kenya and a Postgraduate Diploma from the Kenya School of Law.
*Experience gained prior to joining Bowmans
- Part of the team acting on behalf of various trading and manufacturing companies dealing with food products in Kenya, in a Petition challenging Section 32 (a) (iv) of the Finance Act, 2021 to the extent that it seeks to amend paragraph 1 part 1 of the First schedule of the Excise Duty Act, to impose an excise duty rate of 20% for Imported Pasta
- Part of the team that advised various companies on the process and procedures of transfer of employees from one company to another, in the event of mergers or acquisitions.
- Part of the team that represented the Kenya Association of Manufacturers in a claim in which it was contended that local manufacturers were not extensively consulted on the decision to effect the ban on plastic bags contrary to the Statutory Instruments Act which states that any regulation-making authorities should undertake appropriate consultation and impact assessment before issuing a policy directive, especially if the directive is likely to have direct or substantial effect on business. (2018)*
- Part of the team that represented Dufry International AG in a dispute revolving around the award of the contract to operate duty-free shops at Terminal 1A at the Jomo Kenyatta International Airport. (2018)*
- Part of the team representing the receiver of a Kenyan bank under receivership against 3 companies. The claim seeks the tracing and recovery of approximately USD 300 thousand from third parties which had fraudulent unlawful advances that caused the bank to go down and be placed under receivership. *
- Part of the team acting for a Kenyan bank under receivership in a claim seeking the recovery of USD 40 million. The team successfully obtained a mareva injunction/freezing order, which is currently in force to preserve the subject matter of the suit. We also successfully defended the client against a claim by the shareholders.*
- Part of the team acting on behalf of a Kenyan healthcare institution in an appeal challenging the decision of the Supreme Court that held that the client’s proposed redundancy exercise and in particular the notices contravened the Collective Bargaining Agreement between the union and the client and Section 40 of the Employment Act.*
- Part of the team acting for a Kenyan commercial bank on various claims of unfair termination.*
- Part of the team that represented Nairobi’s top five-star luxury hotel in two employment claims revolving around claims of unfair termination and fraud allegations against the employees. Also advised the hotel on its internal HR policies and contracts.*
- Part of the team which represented a telecommunications company in an employment dispute and incidental negotiations of USD arising from a redundancy exercise of two thousand six hundred (2,600) employees taking part in the where a settlement of USD 3 million was reached.*