- Publications & Insights
Rainbow Field is a director at Coulson Harney LLP.
She specialises in mergers and acquisitions, mining, energy and resources, employment, joint ventures and business formation.
She has B.Com and LLB degrees from Murdoch University, Western Australia, where she is an admitted barrister and solicitor.
Mergers and Acquisitions
- Advised the existing shareholders of Blackwood Hodge (Kenya) Limited in relation to the sale and purchase of all of the issued share capital of Blackwood Hodge (Kenya) Limited to Tamgo International Limited.
- Represented the Print Exchange Limited (TPE) as the Acquirer and Colourprint Limited, Digital Hub Limited, Kul Graphics Limited, the Rodwell Press Limited and Printfast Limited as the Sellers in relation to the acquisition of certain print assets of the Sellers by the Acquirer and the sale of shares in TPE by its shareholders to Colourprint Limited and Printfast Limited.
- Advised on the purchase of entire share capital of Batian Flowers and Top Three by Laurel Investments.
- Advised CBA on the proposed merger between CBA and the NIC Group PLC (listed on the Nairobi Securities Exchange) announced in December 2018.
- Advised the majority shareholders of Ol Donyo Farm (Timau) Limited on the exit of minority shareholders. Completing all aspects of the transaction.
- Advised Brenntag AG through Baker and McKenzie (South Africa) on the sale of the business and assets of Desbro Limited, a chemical distribution company, in each of Kenya, Uganda and Tanzania to Brenntag AG.
- Advised The Africa Health Fund L.L.C. and Swedfund International Aktiebolag on the sale of 70% of the shares of Healthlink Management Limited.
- Advised on the acquisition of 49% of shares in Kenafric Development Limited (KDL) by Amethis Africa Finance Limited and Metier Growth Fund II through a Mauritius based SPV.
- Advised on the acquisition of a controlling interest by Weetabix Limited in Weetabix East Africa Limited by Pioneer Foods Proprietary, South Africa.
- Providing ongoing advice to Acacia Mining in relation to all aspects of its licences and projects in Kenya.
- Advised Acacia Mining on potential exit routes to a joint venture with Barrick.
- Advised on all Kenyan aspects of the USD 170 million-dollar project financing of the Kwale mineral sands project, the only large-scale mining project in Kenya. Advising on the re-financing of the project.
- Providing ongoing advice to Base Titanium Limited in relation to all aspects of its mineral sands project in Kenya.
- Advised Duma Crushers on the general Mining licence issued by the Ministry of Mining.
Oil and Gas
- Advised Qatar Petroleum in relation to the potential acquisition of farm-in rights for an offshore oil block off the Kenyan coast.
- Advised Tullow Oil Plc on all its upstream and midstream aspects of the oil extraction as a Joint Venture (led by Tullow, including Africa Oil and Maersk Oil) from the Lokichar Basin in northern Kenya.
- Advised ENI in relation to all aspects of its presence in Kenya.
- Provided regulatory advice to Anadarko in relation to all aspects of its presence in Kenya.
- Advised REPP on its proposed acquisition of a stake in Kleen Energy Limited, an independent power producer with a Power Purchase Agreement (PPA) with the Kenya Power and Lighting Company Limited for the generation of power at a 6.6 MW hydro power plant.
- Advised Themis Energy in its proposed investments in 3 different solar power projects in Embu, Siaya and Kajiado each project is expected to generate 40 MW.
- Advised ENEL Green S.P.A and Enel Green Kenya Limited on the development and investment in 2 solar micro grid projects in Kisii and Nyamira Counties. We reviewed the EPC contract for the contractor who will construct the microgrids.
- Advised Xago Africa Limited on their development of a 40MW solar plant in Siaya Kenya, as well as negotiations for a power purchase agreement for a 40 MW solar project between Xago Africa Limited and Kenya Power Limited Company (KPLC) and securing the land rights for the project.
- Who’s Who Legal nominated as one of the leading practitioner in mining.
- Chambers and Partners, 2019 ranked Rainbow in Band 2 for Employment.
- IFLR1000’s 2019 Financial and Corporate Guide rated Rainbow as a Highly Regarded Lawyer for M&A.
- Rainbow has been named as one of IFLR1000’s Women Leaders, 2018 and 2019.
- Chambers and Partners, 2018 recognised Rainbow as a Foreign Expert for Australia and ranked her in Band 2 for Employment.
- IFLR1000’s 2018 Financial and Corporate Guide rated Rainbow as a Highly Regarded Lawyer for Energy and infrastructure, Project development, Project Finance and M&A.
Rainbow Field enjoys a strong advisory employment practice, assisting public and private companies with large-scale redundancies, senior-level terminations and contract drafting. She is particularly skilled in the structuring of ESOPs and incentive plans, frequently acting for multinational clients operating in Kenya.
Rainbow Field continues to represent a number of Australian companies in corporate matters in Kenya and East Africa. Her expertise includes M&A and joint ventures and spans sectors such as mining and energy. Clients say: “She delivers a high-quality service.” – Chambers and Partners 2019
Publications & Insights
- National Employment Authority Notice of 26 June 2019
- Petroleum Act, 2019 is now in force
- New Energy Act embraces Renewable Energy
- How populism is making its presence felt in mining
- Permit Verification and Registration Exercise Kicks Off
- Immigration Department introduces a raft of changes affecting work permits
- Kenya’s new mining act is a modern piece of legislation with a few issues to iron out