- Publications & Insights
Rajiv Gujadhur is a Partner in the Corporate Department of our Mauritius office.
He specialises in corporate mergers, restructurings, financial services set-up and regulatory work.
Rajiv was called to the Bar in Mauritius more than 15 years ago. He started in private practice representing clients before all of the jurisdictions of the Mauritius courts as well as various disciplinary bodies. He was exposed to matters ranging from civil, labour and family litigation to commercial and criminal law related litigation.
He holds an LLB (Hons) from the University of Buckingham, England and an LLM in International Commercial Law from the University of Kent, England. He was also admitted to the Bar of England and Wales in 2002 and to the Bar in Mauritius in 2004.
*experience gained prior to joining Bowmans
Corporate and Commercial Transactions*
Advised on several aspects of corporate governance for a number of major listed companies as well as global business entities, including:
- An investment holding entity holding the entire shareholding of an investment and asset manager (the “Subsidiary”) in Mauritius in connection with the unbundling of the Subsidiary from the group of companies.
- A development fund in China in connection with an investment in several digital TV businesses and assets in ten African jurisdictions;
- A bank based in Kenya for the purposes of acquiring the entire share capital of a Category 1 global business company;
- A US global leadership and education company in connection with an equity investment in a Category 1 global business company which also involved employment law related matters.
Banking and Finance*
Assisted and advised lenders on transactions which involved advising on the regulatory aspects and drafting and/or review of the financing documents with respect to, inter alia, the following transactions:
- USD 28 million syndicated loan (Mauritian banks) for the acquisition of a hotel in Mauritius;
- USD 17 million term loan facility by a UK multinational bank to two Category 1 global business companies in Mauritius as borrowers and the Kenyan affiliate of the bank being the account bank;
Investment Funds and Capital Markets*
Assisted and advised on the setting up and closing of several investment and Capital Markets funds, involving mostly private equity funds with a focus on growth companies across various sectors, including Consumer Products, Services, Manufacturing, Agribusiness, Financial Services, Energy, Media & Technology, with a fund size of USD 11 million. He has notably advised:
- On the setting up and closing of a closed-end fund professional collective investment scheme in seeking to make, monitor the performance of and realize investments in equity securities or securities giving access to the equity of private companies.
- An African Bank involved in financing and promotion of intra- and extra- African trade on its listing on the Stock Exchange of Mauritius of depository receipts.
Provided tax structuring advice involving interpretation of the various Double Taxation Agreements entered into between Mauritius and partner countries, these include:
- A large Belgian crane company listed on the “Bourse de Bruxelles” wishing to set up an offshore holding company for its operating subsidiaries in Sub Saharan Africa.
- A large British based investment fund wishing to set up private equity funds for investment into various sectors of the Indian market such as real estate, agribusiness and telecommunications.
Real Estate Hospitality*
- Advised the promoter/investor companies in relation to the development of Integrated Resort Schemes and regularly advised a major real estate company in Mauritius during the setting up of two of its shopping malls in Mauritius. He also regularly advised a major hotel regularly on its day to day legal issues, including negotiating and drafting of lease agreements, contracts with service providers in the industry and the settling of employment disputes.
Competition and Employment*
- Advised a major international company during an investigation by the Competition Commission. He also regularly advised on employment related matters to various operators across industry sectors.
- Advised on several insurance related matters including advising a major insurance company on the interpretation of an insurance policy following a disaster and the setting up of a captive re-insurance protected cell company intending to conduct business in Sub-Saharan Africa. He has also advised several re-insurance companies on the enforceability of insurance contracts in Mauritius.
Intellectual Property, Research and Other Works*
- Assisted on the registration of the trademarks of various companies in Mauritius. Separately, Rajiv has participated in the drafting of a chapter on the law of guarantees in Mauritius for the purposes of a handbook on international guarantees published by a worldwide legal publisher.
Publications & Insights
- Africa: M&A in Key Jurisdictions – Bowmans report on current trends published
- Mauritius: Portable retirement gratuity fund – mandatory contributions by employers as from January 2022
- East Africa: Restructuring Quarterly Bulletin November 2021
- Mauritius – the state of AML/CFT compliance
- Mauritius: Re-opening of borders and incentives to live, work and invest
- Mauritius: Implications of work from home regulations