- Publications & Insights
Rose Njeru is an associate in our Nairobi office and a member of the Intellectual Property and Technology practice group.
Rose specializes in technology, media and telecommunications (TMT) law. Her experience and practice areas also cover privacy and data protection, intellectual property, information technology, e-commerce, commercial contracts, betting and gaming, pharmaceuticals, and IP due diligence.
She advises local and international clients on projects across Africa. Her capability to manage multifaceted and multijurisdictional projects and briefs is notable.
She has a Diploma in Project Management from the Kenya Institute of Management, Bachelor of Laws (LLB) degree from the University of Nairobi, and a Postgraduate Diploma from the Kenya School of Law.
Rose is an Advocate of the High Court of Kenya and a member of the Law Society of Kenya.
- Lead coordinating counsel for the Google’s Sub-Saharan Africa Legal Hub.
- Project lead on two studies relating to telecommunication sectors across various African jurisdictions for an international financial institution.
- Multi-jurisdictional advice on, among others, privacy and data protection, export and import control, fintech, payments, tax, regulation of OTTs, employment, advertising, pharmaceuticals, intellectual property, gaming, telecommunication and entertainment to a leading American technology products company on an ongoing basis on the launch of various products and telecommunications infrastructure projects.
- Advising an American technology company on deployment of SD-WAN solutions.
- Advising Ericson on license renewal with the Communication Authority of Kenya and compliance with local equity participation requirements.
- Advising Africell Holding Company on telecommunications legislation in Kenya.
- Advising one of the world’s leading cloud service providers on cloud regulation, data protection and product compliance.
- Advising an American multinational technology company on COVID-19 response measures, and regulation of Over the Top Service providers.
- Advising China Telecom (Kenya) Limited on compliance with the local shareholding requirements under the ICT Sector Policy, and undertaking quarterly and annual returns filing.
- Advising a telecommunications company on licensing requirements for development of data centres in Kenya
- Advising a global technology company on the telecommunications laws and regulations applicable to the proposed contractual model for delivery of WAN services to Kenyan based customers, export controls on hardware and technology transfer.
- Advising various telecommunications licensees on structuring options for compliance with local equity participation requirements.
- Advising an American aerospace manufacturer on telecommunications licensing and ancillary permits/licenses required to set up operations, as well as undertaking local company incorporation.
- Advising Cognizant (GB) Limited on resale of software, hardware and cloud services in Kenya
- Commercial Bank of Africa (now NCBA) on device and consumer financing agreements,
- Advising the Association of Kenya Insurers on data protection and privacy
- Advising Koko Networks on patent protection and registration
- Advising Anderson Mori & Tomotsune on regulation of medical equipment in Kenya
- ROAM (Ringier One Africa Media) on the group e-commerce platforms to ensure compliance with the newly enacted Kenyan legislation.
- Advising a multinational consumer goods corporation on office registration, corporate affairs and employment issues in various African jurisdictions.
- Advising a foreign network operator on the data protection implications of a project in the medical field.
- Reviewing and updating employment contracts, staff handbooks and privacy policies for various organisations to ensure compliance with local laws.
- Conducting due diligence on IP, and privacy and data protection practices, processing activities and policies, of organizations in relation to various mergers and acquisitions.
- Various multi-jurisdictional trademark registrations and trademark oppositions for companies such as NCBA, Villa de Odon SAC, Shirley May International FZE, Diageo, George Williamson & Co Ltd, Nini Limited, AFRIpads B.V., and Vanguard Group Inc.
Publications & Insights
- Kenya: Delving into Telecommunications – Dealing With Clients in The Telecommunications Sector
- Kenya: Delving into Telecommunications – Challenges faced by service providers in Kenya
- Kenya: Delving into Telecommunications – Compliance with licence obligations
- Kenya: TMT Tidbits: Delving into Telecommunications – Understanding the Regulatory Environment
- Kenya: Towards Protection of Children’s Rights in the Digital Space
- Kenya: TMT Tidbits: Delving into Telecommunications
- Kenya: Publication of the Licensing and Shared Spectrum Framework for Community Networks
- East Africa Quarterly and Monthly Newsletter
- Kenya: Clarity on local equity participation requirements in the ICT sector
- Kenya: Overview of Data Infrastructure in East Africa
- East Africa Quarterly Newsletter
- Foreign Electronic Certification Service Providers Now Recognised By The CA
- Publication of the National information Communication and Technology Policy Guidelines, 2020
- Developments From The Communication Authority Of Kenya Since March 2020
- Patent or Trade Secrets: Which offers better protection?
- CA sets the stage for efficient spectrum usage in Kenya
- Intellectual Property and Consumer Protection In Kenya
- Well-known marks: burden of proof rests on the alleger
- Counterfeiting is stalling the growth of E-commerce in Kenya
- Cybersecurity in the payment service space