- Publications & Insights
Ross is a senior associate in the Dispute Resolution Department of our Johannesburg office and a member of the Public Law and Regulatory practice.
Ross has a broad practice and specialises in all compliance, commercial, corporate, litigious and regulatory aspects in the natural resources and energy sector, with a specific emphasis on broad-based black economic empowerment, energy, environmental, mining, oil and gas, and petroleum related work. His experience spans from advising on mergers and acquisitions, to dispute resolution and litigation claims, to dealing with regulatory issues.
Ross has also been actively involved in the resolution of a number of highly complex disputes in the commercial, construction and engineering, and shipping, transport and logistics sectors, having litigated in various fora, including the South African Supreme Court of Appeal.
Ross completed his LLB Degree and a Postgraduate Certificate in Advanced Corporate and Securities Law at the University of South Africa, both with distinction.
- Advised and represented various international and local listed and unlisted mining entities, specifically in relation to internal appeals, appeals, review and mandamus applications, in terms of, amongst others, the Mineral and Petroleum Resources Development Act, 2002, the National Environmental Management Act, 1998, and the Promotion of Administrative Justice Act, 2000.
- Part of the core team that advised and represented Transworld Energy and Mineral Resources Proprietary Limited (a subsidiary of an entity listed on the Australian Stock Exchange) in the ground‑breaking case of Baleni and 128 Others v Minister of Mineral Resources and Others (73768/2016)  ZAGPPHC 829;  1 All SA 358 (GP) (22 November 2018).
- Part of the core team that advised and represented ARM Mining Consortium in the case of Rustenburg Platinum Mines Limited and Another v Regional Manager, Limpopo Region, DMR and Others (7883/2007; 56189)  ZAGPPHC 312 (10 July 2020).
- Part of the core team that advised and represented Lanxess Chrome Mining Proprietary Limited in urgent Court proceedings in the case of Platmin South Africa Proprietary Limited v Minister of Mineral Resources and Energy and Others [Case No. 41666/2021].
- Part of the core teams that have advised and represented various multinational, local, listed and unlisted entities, specifically in relation to governmental, licensing, regulatory and third-party disputes.
- Part of the core team that advised and represented listed international corporations on various disputes arising from the construction of the Kusile and Medupi Power Plant Projects, in excess of billions of South African Rands.
- Part of the core team that has advised and represented various listed and unlisted entities on launching and defending review proceedings of various arbitration awards, and on enforcement proceedings of various adjudication awards.
- Part of the core team that advised and represented Harmony Gold Mining Company Limited in relation to its acquisition of AngloGold Ashanti Limited’s South African assets and related liabilities, which include Mponeng, the world’s deepest mine, for approximately USD 300 million (ZAR 4.4 billion), with USD 200 million to be paid at closing and the balance as deferred consideration (this deal led to Bowmans being named Energy and Natural Resources Team of the Year at the 2020 African Legal Awards).
- Part of the core teams that have advised and represented a number of entities in relation to various oil and gas, and petroleum related transactions.
- Part of the core teams that have advised and represented a number of entities in relation to energy and mining related transactions.
Publications & Insights
- South Africa: SA mining looks to the long term despite its waning standing on the investment attractiveness index
- South Africa: Amendment of mining and mining related activities requiring environmental authorisations and landowner consent requirements
- South Africa: The rising complexities of consultation and public participation requirements in the mining sector
- South Africa: Compliance date for the National Environmental Management Act: Financial Provisions Regulations Extended Again
- COVID-19: Ministerial directive in the mineral resources and energy sector
- COVID-19: Certain environmental process and other timeframes extended, South Africa