Shanae Durman is a senior associate in the dispute resolution department of our Johannesburg office and a member of the shipping, aviation and logistics practice.
Shanae practices aviation law, with a focus on aviation insurance and dispute resolution. She has experience in advising local and international aviation insurers and reinsurers on coverage, third party claims and subrogated recoveries. She regularly advises airport operators, general aviation clients and their liability and hull insurers in relation to disputes involving aircraft, property damage, and personal injury. In addition, she has experience advising on aviation regulatory compliance.
Shanae completed her LLB (cum laude) and LLM (International Air, Space, and Telecommunications Law) degree (cum laude) at the University of Pretoria and is admitted as an attorney of the High Court of South Africa.
Representing a local hot air balloon operator and its liability insurer in relation to a 2016 accident involving South African and UK based claimants.
- Representing a local airline and its liability insurers in respect of an aircraft accident on Mafia Island, Tanzania.
- Advising an aircraft maintenance organisation and its liability insurers in respect of a loss involving engine maintenance performed at its facility at Wilson Airport, Nairobi.
- Pursuing a subrogated recovery on behalf of a London based hull insurer and its insured against a Tanzanian operator.
- Representing an airport operator and its liability insurers in respect of theft at OR Tambo International Airport, Johannesburg.
- Advising a foreign airline on the impact of the COVID-19 Disaster Management Regulations on its operations to South Africa
- Advising a foreign airline in relation to the acquisition of a local airline in respect of the transferability of its air service licenses and operating certificates.
- Advising a Foreign Airline on the transferability of landing and take-off slots in South Africa and Mauritius.
- Assisting a major UK based airline in defending claims made in terms of EU Flight Compension Regulation.