- Publications & Insights
Sharon is an Associate in the Intellectual Property and Technology Department in our Nairobi office.
She routinely advises clients on issues relating to data privacy and protection, technology, cyber security, e-commerce, payments, fintech , general commercial IP and brand protection, product registrations,, consumer protection, promotions, marketing and advertising law including providing regulatory and compliance advice in those areas.
Sharon has previous experience advising local, regional and international clients on diverse aspects of commercial law including company law, telecommunications, financial services and financial technology, labour law, immigration law, intellectual property, franchising and estate planning.
Sharon is an advocate of the High Court of Kenya, a Certified Secretary (CS(K)) and a Certified Information Privacy Professional/Europe (CIPP/E). She is a member of the Law Society of Kenya, the Institute of Certified Secretaries of Kenya (ICS-K), the International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP) and the International Bar Association (IBA).
Sharon holds an LLM degree in Commercial and Corporate Law from Queen Mary University of London, an LLB degree from the University of Nairobi and a diploma from the Kenya School of Law.
* experience gained prior to joining Bowmans
- Advising Uber B.V and Uber Kenya on various regulatory and compliance matters.
- Provided data protection and cyber security advice to a large technology services organization in relation to its cloud services platform.
- Advising various clients, both local and international clients on data protection compliance including conducting privacy impact assessments and audits of data processing activities; developing appropriate policies and procedures to regulate processing activities and drafting/reviewing data protection contractual clauses.
- Advising on the legal and regulatory requirements applicable to payment service providers including providing advice on the regulation of various payment products and services in Kenya.
- Advising various clients on the regulation of crypto wallets, cryptocurrencies and crypto securities in Kenya.
- Providing advice in relation to product registration, promotion, marketing and advertising in compliance with Kenyan laws and regulations.
- Involved in advising and assisting an indigenous multinational fintech company in its application for an Electronic Retail Payments Service Provider License at the Central Bank of Kenya.*
- Provided advice to clients on both contentious and non-contentious IP including undertaking the registration, renewal and assignment of various forms of IP in Kenya and attending to trade mark infringement and opposition proceedings.*
- Advised and assisted local, regional and international clients in setting up various legal entities in Kenya such as companies, Non-Profit Organisations, trusts, etc. This involved advising on the appropriate registration as well as preparing and filing the relevant documents. Also provided ongoing regulatory compliance advice.*
- Involved in advising clients, both local and international on labour law matters, including issuing advice on termination of employment contracts, employee data protection provisions under Kenyan law, preparing and reviewing contracts of employment, settlement agreements and mutual separation agreements.*
- Prepared legal opinions and advised clients on compliance and regulatory issues in several areas of corporate-commercial law.*
- Involved in conducting due diligence exercises, preparing legal opinions and advising on various areas of corporate-commercial law and regulatory compliance.*