- Publications & Insights
Shelley Wilson is a partner in our Cape Town office Employment and Benefits Practice.
She has been a partner since 2001 and specializes in all aspects of employment law. Her experience has covered complex employment law issues that arise in mergers and acquisitions and other corporate restructurings. Her expertise extends to local and cross-border employment contracts, policies and procedures, consulting agreements and restraints of trade, boardroom battles and executive dismissals, corporate retrenchments, discrimination and sexual harassment issues, unfair labour practices, employment equity, and data protection in an employment context.
Shelley has BA and LLB degrees from the University of the Witwatersrand. She provides training to clients on various employment-law issues and is an accredited Tokiso mediator and arbitrator.
- Shelley has been a partner since 2001 and advises local and international clients across a broad range of industries. Some of Shelley’s clients include WPP, Harvard University, Exxon Mobil, Schlumberger, Anadarko Petroleum Corporation, Amdocs, Marriott, Hyatt, Turner Broadcasting, Old Mutual, Bank of New York Mellon, The Sumitomo Mitsui Banking Corporation, The Royal Bafokeng Nation, Phumelela, Hatch Africa, The Clicks Group, Queenspark, SC Johnson Wax, Mulderbosch Vineyards, and Pearson.
- Shelley has advised McDonald’s Corporation in relation to the employment law aspects in connection with the 20 year master franchise for South Africa granted to Cyril Ramaphosa and Shanduka Group.
- She has also advised the Virgin Group on the acquisition of the Mont Rochelle Hotel and Vineyard in Franschhoek, and Oryx Oil South Africa in relation to the South African legal aspects of its global acquisition of BP’s LPG business.
- Bowmans’ employment team is rated as a first-tier firm by Chambers & Partners and Legal 500. Shelley is a rated lawyer in Legal 500. She has been described as “extremely knowledgeable” and giving clients “practical” and “out the box” advice.
Publications & Insights
- National minimum wage
- All categories of employee-parents to be protected regarding the birth of a child
- Resignation in the face of a disciplinary inquiry – what are an employer’s rights?
- Working beyond retirement age – implications for the employer
- Payments on termination of employment – a taxing affair!
- Breasting the discrimination divide